Motherboard problem

pasty2 18:38 24 Dec 04

I've just replaced my Asus A7V266-E with a Asus A7V600-X all went ok until the boot up got as far as the XP users logon screen and it froze with no response from the PS/2 KB or USB mouse. There seems to be no USB support. Could this be a simple config problem or somthing more sinister. Any help most welcome. Thanks in advance and Merry Xmas to all.

Pasty2

Technotiger 18:59 24 Dec 04

Hi, your new mobo DOES have several usb ports, including usb2. A total freeze-up usually means in the first instance, a loose connection of some sort. Cheers.

Giggle n' Bits 20:21 24 Dec 04

Which CPU, how much memory and type also BIOS version of motherboard.

The Asus motherboard is jumperless so I take it you have not changed any jumpers.

You applied the thermal soloution paste under HSF on the CPU core ? Also not too much so its not going to oooze all over the place.

From settings in the BIOS starting from Defaults when changing the bios settings take it you have SAVED all changes on Exit. Even the slightest thing like a incorrect Date & year can cause problems on boot.

Oh, and which Windows, more on the configuration and SPeC of your machine please.

Carl @ UD 20:31 24 Dec 04

Windows XP , due to the Anti-piracy bits, does NOT like major hardware changes.

A reformat and install maybe the easier option.

NotsoNewuser 22:34 24 Dec 04

I have just installed a K8VSE DL and had a similar problem whilst loading from the support CD.
I disabled the APM system and that seems to have cured the problem.

pasty2 11:44 29 Dec 04

Many thanks for all the help. Had to repair XP and install USB 2.0 drivers to get the thing to work. A lesson learned I think

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…