motherboard password

Old Salt 16:14 15 Feb 05

I've got a password on my motherboard, which I put in about three years ago, I need to change some settings and cannot remember my password, is there any way I can access this password, short of replacing my motherboard

xania 16:17 15 Feb 05

I THINK that, if you remove the internal mobo battery, for about 10 minutes to be sure, you will reset all the settings including the password. Some mobos have a jumper on-board that has the same function, but you will need to check the manual to see about this.

Old Salt 16:20 15 Feb 05

Thanks Xania, I'll give it a try

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:23 15 Feb 05

BIOS Passwords
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:24 15 Feb 05

and BIOS Passwords
click here
click here

Old Salt 18:45 15 Feb 05

Thanks for the sites Fruit Bat I'm having a look, I'm sure I'll find something there to aid me

josie mayhem 19:52 15 Feb 05

Don't for get to clear comos as well as the battery.

I've always wondered why the hell they put mobo passwords at all. If you confident enough to go inside a computer case, then clearing the password is easy. If you not, then you won't need the password to protect the mobo settings.

So whats the point?

xania 12:58 16 Feb 05

Hi josie mayhem

I couldn't agree more. A pain in the whatsit.

Old Salt 20:39 16 Feb 05

No luck yet on a password I havnt had time to withdraw the battery as the PC is in constant 24hr use
My motherboard is an "MSI-6712(v1.X)ATX Mainboard
if anyone has a password to release the bios in this

xania 09:05 17 Feb 05

Some BIOSes lock down permanently after 3 failed attempts, but most BIOSes have many more possible passwords. Add to that te fact that you set up the password, and may well have set up something that was more meaningful then to you and that pathway leads to destruction. I think you will have to bit the bullet, stop using the PC for about an hour and get into the works.

Old Salt 19:32 17 Feb 05

Yes it certainly looks like it, I'm going to shut it down this weekend and take out the battery, if that dont work, its a new motherboard, What the heck, they are so cheap now, its hardly worth the aggro on the old board, thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…