motherboard installation problems

bigboab y 16:17 27 Aug 04

I bought a Microstar 8137c+ motherboard and a Duron 1800 (266) CPU. Installed a 10 gig hard drive with Windows XP in it.When it boots up I keep getting as far as "Start windows normally" on the screen (with some other choices).. but it keeps coming back to that screen. The only change I made to the jumpers was to set CPU frequency to 133.....the board was sold to me as being able to handle 266 processors... is the problem in that one fact alone? i.e 133..266?
Be much grateful for some advice.

xania 16:26 27 Aug 04

I think your problem is that you are working with a previous installation of WIndows. This will rarely work. When you install a new motherboard, you must do a clean installation of WIndows - this is necessary so that the correct drivers for all the equipment on your new motherboard is installed as part of the windows installation. Sometimes, you can get lucky and WIndows will attempt to install the correct drivers, but more often, as in your case, it just can't cope.

bigboab y 16:55 27 Aug 04

I now get a blue screen with"A problem has occurred and windows is being shut down etc etc " with a big string of numbers along the bottom...... so will I have to format the hard drive then install windows .Can I get there by putting in a windows back-up disc and running from there?

bigboab y 08:58 28 Aug 04

Changed the boot order to cd-rom... put in Windows 98se install disc which first of all formatted the hard drive.. then installed 98se and it all worked bootiful.. thanks xania gave me the clue I needed. Cheers... my knowledge base updated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…