motherboard to high

jamesd1981 10:13 22 Aug 10

hi guys i just bought a couple of budget cases to transfer internals of two desktops with broken cases, the problem is the floor of the budget case has raised bumps so when i put in board risers, it then lifts the board to high for all the audio and usb connectors to fit into the push in slot at back of case, does anyone know how to get around this.

gengiscant 10:30 22 Aug 10

Not sure I have grasped your problem fully, but can I suggest you use washers, not metal ones though.

jamesd1981 10:33 22 Aug 10

the problem is the board sits to high to fit when i put in standard risers, do you mean the paper washers ?

jimv7 10:45 22 Aug 10

Use the bumps without the risers.

gengiscant 10:49 22 Aug 10

It would be better if they were rubber as you do not want any part of the Mobo to touch the case motherboard plate.
You should also place a rubber cap on any raised screw hole on the plate, again to ensure that you do not cause a short by the plate touching the Mobo.

jamesd1981 10:54 22 Aug 10

thanks guys will try your suggestions much appreciated.

Quiller. 10:57 22 Aug 10

of the motherboard chasis.

Just screw the motherboard direct to the chasis of the case. Both sides of the motherboard are insulated. You just use the risers, if, some of the screw holes on the motherboard do not fit flush with the chasis and even then you do not have to use all the holes in the motherboard. Just make sure it is fairly secure, especially around the edges.

Quiller. 11:04 22 Aug 10

" as you do not want any part of the Mobo to touch the case motherboard plate. "

The screw holes are insulated. You can screw the motherboard directly to the case chassis.

click here

Quiller. 11:06 22 Aug 10

"You donot use risers on the raised sections

of the motherboard chasis. "

You do not use risers on the raised sections

of the case chassis.

gengiscant 11:13 22 Aug 10

My first ever build, which I eventually took to my local PC repair shop, suffered from shorting because the board managed to touch the back plate somehow. For the few coppers it would cost to add the washers, I would suggest doing so.

Quiller. 11:21 22 Aug 10

since 1995. Have all been secured to the case backplate. Risers have only been used to support the motherboard when no indentaions on the back plate support the main section of the motherboard.

" My first ever build, which I eventually took to my local PC repair shop, suffered from shorting because the board managed to touch the back plate somehow. "

You have either inserted the motherboard slightly askew or bolted the motherboard down through one of the wrong screw holes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…