motherboard help

david.mann8 18:21 24 Nov 09

Hi. I was given an old hp imedia as mine pc had packed up. this to has what i believe to be a motherboard problem. No beeps, and hd will not run when connected to the motherboard.

I would welcome some advice on a cheap replacement montherboard. the current one is an asus p5s800-vm.

I dont use my office pc for gaming just storage, word processing and browsing, so need a no thrills cheap as you can replacement.

Ive read xp will no longer run so i will download one of the linux offerings.

many thanks in anticipation of your help.
Thankyou for any help you can give.

david.mann8 18:33 24 Nov 09

please excuse my stupidity, the pc is a packard bell imedia 1307 and i need to replace a asus p5s800-vm/s motherboard

GaT7 18:33 24 Nov 09

What's the current CPU?

Looks like you need a mATX board - like the Asus P5S800-VM click here? And one which will run with DDR1 RAM. I doubt you will be able to buy a new motherboard with DDR support these days, so you should be looking at getting a secondhand replacement off eBay or similar.

"Ive read xp will no longer run..." - why do you think that? If it has the COA with product key (usually stuck on the case), a genuine Windows CD & optical drive, you should be able to install XP with no problems. G

DieSse 18:35 24 Nov 09

The motherboard you can use depends on what processor and RAM you have (assuming you want to re-use them). It might be difficult to get one for an older machine.

I don't know where you've read that XP will "no longer run" - but that's not correct. Do you have a sticker on the case with an activation code?

Other things can cause a system to not run - Power Supply, Processor chip, RAM modules, etc. How sure are you that you have a motherboard fault?

DieSse 18:35 24 Nov 09

snap.

david.mann8 18:36 24 Nov 09

hi. i was told xp is linked to the mobo and as i have the code but no disc i thought it wouldnt recognise it. anyway as i havent had it running i dont know about the cpu. how do i find out?

david.mann8 18:39 24 Nov 09

replies are coming too quick. thanks though. it has only 256mb pc3200 cl3. Of course i would upgrade this any way. I a total novice and believed the processor came as part of the mobo. as regards knowing it the motherboard, i dont for definite, just what ive guessed at from other forums

GaT7 18:43 24 Nov 09

Remove the HSF & have a look at the part number / sSpec number on the surface of the CPU.

The official specs click here say it's an Intel Celeron D model 341, but do a visual inspection just to be sure. Intel Celeron D 341 info click here.

We need to know which CPU in order to determine which motherboards are likely to be compatible. G

GaT7 18:46 24 Nov 09

"i was told xp is linked to the mobo and as i have the code but no disc i thought it wouldnt recognise it." - Microsoft generally overlooks this if the original motherboard is damaged. The most you'll probably have to do is call them for a re-activation code. We'll look into this nearer the time though. G

david.mann8 18:46 24 Nov 09

as you say intel celeron 341 2.93ghz

david.mann8 19:00 24 Nov 09

one fault is that it will not shut down by holding the power button, the red light just stays on. there are no beeps and the hd doesnt start up when connected to the motherboard. it will start spinning as soon as the ide is pulled all, so as it will run and so do 2 fans could it still be the psu?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac