Motherboard Grrrrrrrr!

FireOfBlue 18:43 29 Oct 03

Hi people:)

I built my PC in April - it has an asus a7n8x dlx motherboard, 2500+ AMD xp CPU, 1 GB crucial 2700 RAM, Gigabyte, 9800 pro graphics card.

It developed problems after a couple of months whereby it wouldn't boot, or even POST. I took it to an independent shop who said the motherboard was dead. I returned it to ASUS (who took a long time - it was sent to Holland) and they said it worked fine. On return it did work, for a few weeks then died again. I took a few weeks to get around to (I have a standby system) returning it but got another returns number from ASUS. I was about to send it off again when I thought I would try it one more time - booted up straight away. It then ran for a month - until a couple of days ago then died again.

Rather annoying!

I have changed / upgraded the power supply and taken it to bits twice.

The last time it was runing I ran it with the case's side panel off and thought ahhh haaa it must be heat because it is ok now - but it died eventually.

I have changed the CMOS battery for a new one etc etc

My question is .. should I buy another ASUS a7n8x deluxe motherboard, or perhaps the Gigabyte GA-7N400PRO2 or the Gigabyte Gigabyte - GA-7NNXP ?

I use the computer for playing very recent / current PC games, for some video editing and as a general PC. Would there be an advantage to having a Gigabyte video card and motherboard?

What do you think of the relative merits? Obviouslly the
Gigabyte - GA-7NNXP is twice the price of the others!

Secondly, I have win xp pro as my OS - if I change the motherboard will my computer boot up? Or will I have to contact microsoft to reactivate or format the hd - or will it be ok?

I do have stuff on the motherboard that I would like to back up - before formatting it (If I need to).

Thanks for the input

Fire

froggg 18:54 29 Oct 03

hang on-what makes you think its the mobo?you got xp pro,anything showing red in the event viewer?

FireOfBlue 19:29 29 Oct 03

I hadn't thought to check that - but don't know what else it might be - especially 'cos it takes a couple of weeks to be able to POST again.
I can;t check the events viewer 'cos it won't POST at present.

Thanks

Fire

madPentium 20:39 29 Oct 03

next time it doesnt post, take out all cards, and disconnect all drives from the mobo. Personally I find it hard to believe its the mobo, especially ASUS. If anything I would blame it on a dodgy processor. I HATE AMD.

critic-al 21:59 29 Oct 03
  FireOfBlue 22:46 29 Oct 03

Thanks again for the input - but, would a processor not boot for a couple of weeks then be ok? besides I had the PC tested at a shop and they 'put it on the bench' and said the motherboard was dead.

Also thanks for the link to reinstalling / swapping motherboard..

Has anyone got any more help they can give?

Thanks

Fire

goonerbill 23:00 29 Oct 03

whats ya fsb set at. it should be set at 166/166 for cpu and mem.

also what is the power rating of ya psu, it should be at least 400watts with what ya got in ya pc.

froggg 23:12 29 Oct 03

so atm your mobo is not working at all?
what does 'died ' mean? does it not do anything?,does a fan so much as twitch?
have you tried disconnecting all cards and cables(apart from power and front switches)and memory ,boot,do you get any beeps?
do the fans kick on?
can you get into bios?
have you tried the mobo in another case?(front switches might be faulty)
have you tried the mobo out of the case?(short)
have you tried slackening the mobo screws?
have you replaced your ide cables?
have you got a spare h/drive to try?
remove heatsink(!!)makesure cpu is seated properly and thermal paste(you did use thermal paste?)is ok.VERY thin smear-too much is BAD.
many q's-any answers?

A_World_Maker 23:14 29 Oct 03

To offer a balance, I've used bith AMD and Intel chips over the past 20 years, both have their strengths and weaknesses, I hate neither.

froggg 23:23 29 Oct 03

fsb is WHAT,goonerbill?-dont think so.
btw,fire,you have got asus cop-
'ASUS C.O.P (CPU Overheating Protection)

ASUS C.O.P (CPU Overheating Protection) is a hardware protection circuit that automatically shuts down the system power before temperatures go high enough to permanently damage your CPU. '
ie if heatsink,paste or fan is inadequate.

woodchip 23:30 29 Oct 03

Try it with the side of and use a desk fan pointing in to comp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…