motherboard and graphics card compatibility

doc twit 13:38 19 Jan 08

time to upgrade! 250w power supply with no extra leads for graphics card. motherboard-
NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL
Motherboard Model: GA-8I945PM
radeon x600h

has a spare pci-e slot next to graphics card. not sure if i can run two grahics cards next to eaxh other if i replace current radeon for two new ones.
also think i will upgrade processor cooling- pentium d 820

Bobby 20:15 19 Jan 08

250 watts is an extremely small power supply by todays standards - if you are thinking of fitting two graphics cards, I suggest you need one at least twice as big. Modern graphics cards need an auxiliary power supply as well as the power fed from the PCI-E slot although it is possible to get adapter leads from the standard 4-pin power sockets(if you have enough of them spare)

SANTOS7 20:19 19 Jan 08

You will need to find out if you MOBO is SLI capable,
and as Bobby says you gonna need some serious PSU to deal with two cards...

cream. 20:47 19 Jan 08

I think you will find that the PCI-E slot next to the graphics card is just a PCI_E 1X slot.
click here

cream. 20:50 19 Jan 08

I think you will find that the PCI slot next to the graphics card is just a old PCI 1X slot.

The PCI-E 1X slot is at the end.

doc twit 10:50 20 Jan 08

ta guys. upgrade the power and get a good single pci-e graphics card and the ram. oh and the fan i guess.
hmmm... and the wife wants a new kitchen

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…