Motherboard with faulty Capacitors

whatchamacallit 00:32 03 Sep 04

I have just been given a PC, with an Abit BX133_raid Motherboard.
The PC just keeps rebooting, I have double checked the computer, replace power,agp, pci cards, memory, hardive`s.

What I have found that the motherboard capacitors are bulging, about 4 in all, (no oozing of electrolyte.)

It is well known that the capacitors on this board do fail.

Abit motherboards are not the only ones prone to this problem.

PS. This problem is not just limited to Motherboards, Video cards & Power supplies TOO.

I have just read that some manufactur`s still use Jackcon OR Teapo capacitors, which are prone to suffer this well known problem.

That`s why I am not going to send the board back to Abit.

DOES ANYONE KNOW who repairs the capacitors on this motherboard in the UK.

Thanks for your time.

ton 01:46 03 Sep 04

Any competant electronics person or company could replace capacitors, BUT if you are paying for the service you would be better off buying a new motherboard.

It would probably cost as much for the repair as to buy a new one. Motherboards are very cheap now.

feb 02:34 03 Sep 04

How much does a capacitor cost?

Forum Editor 07:22 03 Sep 04
  techpro 13:54 03 Sep 04

£10 for a capacitor! More like 10p! I've got a whole box of 'em here.

Find a local radio ham and ask if they know anyone who builds their own stuff.

whatchamacallit 19:30 03 Sep 04

Thanks to all for your help, I will keep this open a little longer.

Dorsai 19:59 03 Sep 04

The capasitors may well be cheap (or not), but i suspect that the main problem will turn out to be the soldering iron. Many home ones have a tip so large that trying to hit one of the very small contacts on a mobo without accidently unsoldering the adjacent bits, or joining several bits together, that were never ment to be so joined, will be that hard part.

The answer, buy one, and file the tip down.

Or buy one with interchangeable tips. i did, a gas powered one, so no cable to get in the way, and then you can turn the 'heat' up or down, to suit the job in hand, and get a small tip too.

ton 20:22 03 Sep 04

Miniature soldering irons have coated bit, don't file it down, unless you want to ruin it.

Dorsai 20:28 03 Sep 04

Or, as ton says, buy a miniture one to start with, and then don't alter it.

If the tip is specially coated, filing it down will ruin it. yes, i had forgot.

But the miniture ones tend to have a miniture heat output, and thats not always up to the job. That's why i got a big, adjustable, one, and a small tip.

Gongoozler 20:35 03 Sep 04

The problem of faulty capacitors on motherboards was reported in technical magazines a few months ago, when it was discovered that the capacitor manufacturers had supplied a faulty batch to the motherboard makers. As previous posters have pointed out, these capacitors are not expensive, or particularly difficult for anyone with the right skills and equipment to replace. However it wouldn't be a quick job and I doubt that it would be economical for anyone other than a hobbyist to replace them.

VCR97 20:36 03 Sep 04

I'm not clued-up on mother boards but if the board has plated-through holes you could have difficulty in extracting the pins from the board because the solder will be along the entire pin inside the hole and not just where it sticks through the track. A solder sucker (Maplins, etc.) will help. Remember that too much heat could well cause the track to lift.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…