Motherboard Drivers ? is it worth it ?

Giantsquid 17:15 28 Apr 05

Hi all,

After just getting the latest driver for my printer and Scanner I just got to thinking that I have never downloaded any drivers for my motherboard/ chipset or anything else on my MB for that matter, my MB is a : Gigabyte GA-71XE with a AMD 751/756 chipset and is a Slot A mainboard.
Would I benefit if I downloaded drivers for it ? it is 3 years old now and to be honest I don't know if it could do any damage ? if I download anything, I have heard about flashing the bios and I've not done that before, can anyone help on this one ?

thanks GS

gudgulf 17:27 28 Apr 05

Updating the motherboard chipset drivers......like all other driver updates this can add new features and support improved performance in certain areas.However if everything is working fine the chances are you don't need to update them.The scope for damage with updating chipset drivers is not very great,no more than any other driver update.If it goes wrong you can reinstall to correct any problems.

Updating the BIOS by flashing is done to add support for new processors or other changes in the harware support for the motherboard.It is something that only needs to be done if you have a specific issue with the motherboard that is fixable by an updated BIOS.Flashing the BIOS can be risky...If it goes wrong you could be left with a scrapped motherboard unless you know somewhere that can fit new BIOS chips.Best done only if you have to and only if you are confident in what you are doing.

Belatucadrus 17:32 28 Apr 05

Motherboard drivers and flashing the bios are two different things. MOBO drivers are usually for on-board components such as graphics, sound, NIC etc. Updating them is usually fairly easy and may offer enhanced device control or graphics handling. If you have the original drivers, rolling back if you don't like the result is easy.
BIOS flashing is another kettle of fish all together, if a BIOS flash goes pear shaped you're in trouble as recovering from it can be near impossible if you didn't back it up or have a spare BIOS chip. As such I don't even consider updating the BIOS unless I have a very specific reason for doing so. If it ain't busted don't fix it.

Giantsquid 21:05 28 Apr 05

Thanks for that guys,

GS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…