Is motherboard dead!!!!!

Les53 20:22 09 May 06

as friend of mine had a problem with his computer which was about 18 months old and he left it with the local shop who first said power supply then changed their mind and said motherboard. On examination i discovered it was the power switch that was faulty. The problem now is i can't get a squeak out of the motherboard is there a test to discover if its the processor or the motherboard at fault. I have disconnected everything except the processor fan but it just wont boot. the fan starts ok and a light comes on near the ram on the motherboard that about all.Its a Philips Iqon GVS01, gigabyte Ga-8s661fxm and a intel socket 478 celeron processor 2.60ghz/120.400.
Any ideas welcomed

Les53 20:36 09 May 06

I have tried a different 300w psu, changed ram, cleared cmos, removed battery and replaced,tried pci graphic card as its on board graphics,Different case,changed processor albeit a 1500 ghz p4 processor. still no joy!!!!!!!!

thms 20:39 09 May 06

Don't know a lot about testing motherboards.
But you could test the battery and try clearing the cmos.

thms 20:41 09 May 06

Have to type quicker.
Looks like you've done everything I would have.
Hopefully someone else will help you out.

Les53 20:42 09 May 06

Is their any truth in leaving the battery out all night to clear the cmos. I must admit i only removed the battery for a short while.

Totally-braindead 20:48 09 May 06

To me it sounds as if the shop was right. They originally said the power supply which considering you discovered it was the actual power button is a reasonable assumption. You then said the shop changed their mind and said it was the motherboard which I presume they found by connecting a new power supply and discovering it still wouldn't fire up.

The only thing I can suggest regarding the testing is if you connect the speaker to the motherboard then you should get BEEP codes and they should tell you whats wrong. If the CPU had failed it would give you the beep codes for the CPU failure. Since you appear to be getting nothing at all I think it is actually the motherboard that has failed. And if there are no BEEP codes that to me would be another indication that the board had failed.

thms 20:48 09 May 06

It would depend on your motherboard. On newer boards you dont remove the battery. There is usually a jumper you change. Older boards required removal of battery.

Totally-braindead 20:49 09 May 06

click here beep codes

Les53 20:51 09 May 06

The trouble is for some reason people don't like to admit what the did just before the problem started .He swears it just wouldn't switch on! I have all the cds and the manual it's a shame to give up on such a nice PC. He paid the shop £30 for an estimate on the problem. When it came back from the shop all the cables were disconnected including the processor fan. i have reconnected all the cables ok as per the manual.

Les53 21:00 09 May 06

The board has a cmos which i also cleared. I did connect a speaker and i have a list of all possible beeps from 1 - 9 beeps in the manual. If only i could get a response from the board.

Les53 21:03 09 May 06

If the motherboard was dead would the ram led still light. It proves power is going through the board. One small question when you get a blue and a white connector which one is the plus?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…