-- Motherboard Advise --

Fried Lobster 11:44 17 Mar 08

Hi i need a new motherboard and would like to be pointed in the right direction of what one to get.

I need it to be a normal ATX one, AMD socket 939, PCI-Ex16, support of SATA HDD also supporting PC3200 RAM would be nice but doesn't have too.

Price range of about £10-£55

Thanks.

Grantrh 12:23 17 Mar 08

AMD don't use socket 939 anymore - but if you really want one then you could buy second hand.

Grantrh 12:30 17 Mar 08

try this:
click here

Fried Lobster 13:51 17 Mar 08

Thanks for the suggestions, can anyone name anyother shops such as click here

Fingees 14:07 17 Mar 08

I would recommend Novatech..
It's worth buying a bundle.
I know it may be more expensive than you wish, but takes a lot of hassle out of the job, and you could upgrade at the same time.

Totally-braindead 14:14 17 Mar 08

I use in order of preference Novatech click here Scan click here Overclockers click here and occassionally Dabs click here Aria click here Komplett click here and Microdirect click here

I would like to mention that Grantrh is correct and getting a 939 motherboard would be a mistake unless you already have a 939 processor lying about as AMD now use AM2 processors, they are cheaper than the 939s and theres very little choice in 939s as well as few are made now.

And a bundle is a good starting point as you know the processor is compatible with the motherboard and RAM.

Fried Lobster 14:14 17 Mar 08

I wish i could buy a bundle, but i really don't have the money to. Anyother shops like Novatech?

Totally-braindead 16:25 17 Mar 08

Fried Lobster if you have a processor already then fair enough. If not buy an AM2 board and processor not a 939 board. The AM2 processors are so much cheaper than the 939 ones that the difference is enough to pay for the motherboard. And 939 processors are few and far between.

I listed 7 shops above that I use. There are others but those are the ones I have personal experience of.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…