motherboard accidently damaged!!!!!!!!!!!

Les52 22:34 02 Jun 04

if the floppy drive connector on the motherboard has damaged or missing prongs is their any other way i could connect a floppy drive to a pc to enable me to boot up and install an operating system?
Cheers
Les

sicknote 22:39 02 Jun 04

You can get usb floppy drives,

alan227 22:39 02 Jun 04

Enter the bios and chage to cd for first boot then use the operating system cd to install

spanneress 22:40 02 Jun 04

I have re-built many old PC's with missing pronged IDE cables (ouch....that grammer sucks!)..give it a go..also..which OS are you trying to install? Have you got a bootable CD? If so - start up the machine, get into the BIOS, change the boor sequence to boot from CD as 1st option and re-start with CD in-situ...Robert is your mothers brother.

spanneress 22:40 02 Jun 04

I have re-built many old PC's with missing pronged IDE cables (ouch....that grammer sucks!)..give it a go..also..which OS are you trying to install? Have you got a bootable CD? If so - start up the machine, get into the BIOS, change the boot sequence to boot from CD as 1st option and re-start with CD in-situ...Robert is your mothers brother.

sicknote 22:42 02 Jun 04
  woodchip 22:45 02 Jun 04

He means the header pins a damaged missing, Yes if you are any good with a soldering iron. and can get hold of a shot mobo you can desolder pins from the old board and fit into your own solder will be different layers in the motherboard but I have done this in the past with other mobo items

Les52 22:49 02 Jun 04

i did try the boot from cdrom option with an xp cdrom but it didnt seem to work. maybe i should give it another go.

Also if i installed maybe win 98 on a hard drive on another computer and then installed it would that work? If so i could then upgrade it from the cdrom drive
Les

spanneress 22:53 02 Jun 04

The problem with installing your OS onto the hard drive in another PC is that it is unlikely to contain the right settings / configs / drivers for the new PC and will then fail to boot.

Did you change the boot sequence in the Bios?

You could install 98 on a partitioned hard rive then install XP onto seperate partition once drive up and running...seems like a long way round to me tho'...personally I would ditch the floppy drive as few folk use them nowadays anyway!

Les52 22:54 02 Jun 04

sicknote thanks for the link to the usb floppy ,but how would that work if i have have a formatted hard drive and no operating system i dont see how that could recognise the usb device?

woodchip 22:54 02 Jun 04

Yes if you put the Win98se folder from disc on to the drive while it's in another comp. but how will you get it to go to the Prompt. If it will go to C:\ you can run setup from the 98 folder

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5