Morning all!

VoG II 11:36 26 Oct 03

!!!!

John-259217 11:41 26 Oct 03

The cleaners must have pulled out the plug again !
:-)

Pesala 11:55 26 Oct 03

One sure way of putting a stop to any Saturday night flamewars is to pull the plug. If that is the case, an explanation would have been nice. Perfectly reasonable to close the forum to give the FE a peaceful weekend. The BBC close their forums every night after about 9:00 pm.

Newuser38 11:58 26 Oct 03

I thought it was me cos Financila Times stopped talking to me as well. Then I realised Tiscali was the fastest it has been in weeks, and saw the notice that effectively said PCA server kaput at present.

Clocks going back probably did it, someone changed the time wrong and the central heating went off.

holly polly 12:20 26 Oct 03

gday all ,ahhhh the teething probs ,regards -hol pol...

Legolas 12:37 26 Oct 03

Sorry VoG a belated but nevertheless hearty 'Good Morning' to you to.

LastChip 12:47 26 Oct 03

This being the second (or third is it?) time in the last few weeks, must surly be an embarrassment to PCA, given the nature of the site.

How much truth is there in the old adage, if it 'aint broke, don't fix it?

As an aside, after this last outage, it appears when using multi-pages in Opera, I now have to log on to each page!! That's progress? I think not.

VoG II 12:52 26 Oct 03

I'm not sure that the revamp of the site has anything with the server going down (apparently). I'm not sure either what direct control PCA have over the server.

It's just one of those annoying things that happen from time to time.

Forum Editor 12:54 26 Oct 03

We're not particularly embarrassed LastChip, after all even Microsoft's servers go down on a fairly regular basis, but I'm sorry if anyone's entire weekend was ruined.

I thought I had just turned off the lights when I went to bed, but I was wrong - must get that red switch labelled.

Legolas 12:56 26 Oct 03

'You go to bed FE?'

Forum Editor 12:59 26 Oct 03

The server is actually ours, and we have total control over it - so nobody else to blame but ourselves I'm afraid. Anyone who has ever administered a fairly complex web server and data driven site combination will tell you that it's no walk in the park, and glitches occur regularly. The problem here is that we're running a very busy online forum, and there are plenty of people who notice an outage. A corporate web site can go down over a weekend and often almost nobody will know - site visitors just click away, and try again later.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…