//some 3rd party need geo

More XP problems: BT modem

Paula Michelle 17:04 09 May 05

I have a BT Voyager 105 modem for getting 1MB broadband.

My Windows XP system is putting an icon in the system or notifications tray which links to a Local Area Connection 2 Status window which is telling me that I have limited or no connectivity. The damn thing is coming on every time I restart the computer saying that the network did not assign a network address to the computer.

In Control Panel, under Network Connections there are two icons, a Local Area Connection which is a VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter (status disabled) and a Local Area Connection 2 which is a Globespan USB ADSL LAN Modem (status Limited or no connectivity). There is a large yellow triangle containing an exclamation mark within it. I assume that the computer is surprised.

I won't tell it how I feel.

I have tried everything, but if I disable this, then the BT modem won't work. So the Globespan must be another name for the BT modem.

Anyway, I would be interested in any constructive comments to put things right. If this computer was on a shelf in Dixon's it would sit there forever.

gudgulf 17:15 09 May 05

AOL?......That's what I have and a BT Voyager 105 modem too.And I also get the yellow error sign.The fix issued by AOL doesn't get rid of it.However it does not affect your connection...at least mine gets the full 1 gig connection most of the time.To get rid of the yellow error sign click on Start>Connect to>Show all connections and right click on the LocalArea Connection 3(or 2).Select properties and in the General tab untick the "Notify me when this connection has limited or no connection" box.Not a fix but a workaround until a proper fix is available.

DieSse 17:15 09 May 05

Did it ver work with XP - if not, then it maybe needs to be re-installed.

You could try changing to the other LAN adapter, and enabling that adapter.

But I think the correct course of action is to uninstall the modem, the LAN adapter, and re-install them both.

If your system was upgraded to XP from '98 without a clear out and fresh install, then these types of problems can occur. The upgrade handler is actually very good in coping with the vast majority of variations of hardware and software - but's it's asking too much for it to know all about all of them, including the quirky hardware and software some manufacturers supply.

Paula Michelle 17:18 09 May 05

Sorry, it was a clean install to brand new Hard Disk.

Paula Michelle 17:22 09 May 05

Thanks a bunch for that, it actually seems to be working. I wish you were here to fire this load of crud into line. I don't think anyone is ever going to be proud of "Made in America" after Microsoft have finished.

DieSse 17:44 09 May 05

I would lay money on this being an AOL/BT/Modem mfr problem.

I think you're being unjustifiably unfair to MS - XP is an very complex, yet very capable and stable OS - which tens of millions of users around the world run with a minimum of problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…