More XP Install Problems

01chris 11:48 22 Jan 06

After failing to install linux (click here)

I tried to put XP pro back on my old PC. I took the HDD out and formated it to NTFS in my good PC. I then replaced the HDD and booted from the XP cd. I did a fresh install and formated to NTFS during setup.

It was all going great and copied all the files, it then said it was going to restart so I left it for about 30 seconds, came back and it had started the install again!!

I let it carry on with the setup and it did the same thing again. I then changed the boot order, because I had told it to boot from CD first and the same thing happened again. (The boot order is now C,CDROM,A)

I have also tried taking the disc out when it is getting ready to reboot, this didn't work.

Does anyone know why it keeps restarting the install instead of carrying on from where it should?

mgmcc 14:45 22 Jan 06

When installing Linux, it would have loaded the Grub or Lilo boot loader. After the removal of Linux, did you repair the Master Boot Record on the hard drive?

If not, boot with a Windows 98SE "boot floppy" and, at the A:\> prompt run the command:

FDISK /MBR

Then remove the floppy, put the XP CD in, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot and see if the installation runs normally through to the end.

01chris 15:25 22 Jan 06

I had a GRUB error when trying to boot linux so this sounds hopeful. As I type I am formating another HDD to try and in the mean time I will try your suggestion.

01chris 17:21 22 Jan 06

I tried your suggestion and it told me that there are no fixed disks present.

I will try to install onto my other hdd and let you know what happens.

01chris 18:38 22 Jan 06

I have tried again with the other HDD and it did the same thing again.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Terry Brown 19:35 22 Jan 06

Go to RUN type in MSCONFIG.
Select boot.ini. Select Fix boot path.That should cure it.

bremner 19:42 22 Jan 06

01Chris are you saying you formatted the whole disk or just the XP partition?

01chris 16:18 23 Jan 06

Terry Brown-I will try your idea later

bremner-there is only one partition on each drive so i presume it was the whole drive that got formatted

01chris 17:55 26 Jan 06

I should get a chance to try your suggestions at the weekend so I will reply then

01chris 16:35 29 Jan 06

I was about to try Terry Brown's idea, so I installed the HDD from the broken PC into my good PC, then I opened my computer (explorer.exe, not the PC's case) and looked in the HDD and it had a Windows folder on it!

The folder was 500mb, had 3323 files and 149 folders.

Am I in luck?

01chris 20:11 31 Jan 06

Bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…