more xp bootproblems

hate_my_pc 16:52 23 Jul 05

my pc crashed on wednesday night and tried to reboot but hung at the windows xp screen with the pretty scrolling bars ! i have tried to get past this but now it does'nt even get that far it post ok but then shows message to say windows is not as good as it was ! it will not start in safe mode at all it won't do system restore it just reboots or hangs, i have tried to boot from xp cd but it stops with an exception, but seems happy to boot from my old win 98 cd but i don't want win 98 and i don't want to lose the photos of my baby that have'nt all been backed up please help

stalion 17:10 23 Jul 05

boot in to safe mode and try last known good configeuration keep tapping f8 on boot up for safe mode

woodchip 17:13 23 Jul 05

He cannot get into safe mode.

woodchip 17:15 23 Jul 05

You say that you can get to a command prompt, then look hear for help in running Restore

click here

User-312386 17:21 23 Jul 05

Start computer and tap the delete key to get into BIOS

Now when there you need to look for the option that says boot order, you need to change that so it boots from CD-ROM drive

Now when above is done pop XP disc in and it will inspect hardware, when at the next screen Press R

Now you will be presented with a screen that says C:windows press Enter

Now you need to fix master boot records by the looks of things so type FIXMBR and enter then Y (for yes) .

Next you will need to type FIXBOOT enter then Y.

this should have fixed the computer

woodchip 17:23 23 Jul 05

madboy33©®
Read my lips, He can boot from a win98 CD. so it does not need changing

hate_my_pc 17:32 23 Jul 05

thanks but it still won't work on start up i tap f8 and get a menu up, if i make a selection of any type it hangs so i can't get to a command prompt sorry if i mislead you i think i will have to burn it

stalion 17:34 23 Jul 05

follow madboy33©® advice to get in to bios etc to effect a repair

Kenneth-266656 17:50 23 Jul 05

Throw computer out of the window. Go walking on Dartmoor instead - far better for the blood pressure!

stalion 17:51 23 Jul 05

open the window first though

Kingfisher 17:53 23 Jul 05

Having problems with slow decrypting and copying of dvd's. Looking on a recent forum, it suggested having optical drives set to master and cable select, if I do this will it present me with any problems. P.c. config is win xp home editiom sp2 3.4ghz intel pentuim 4 1gig ram two 80 gig hard drives one dvd rom drive and one dvd rrewriter drive have latest bios and firmware, as stated in a preiuos posting the p.c. is using 100% processor power and is only readig/writing at 1 times speed
many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…