More upgrading advice

wordpro97 20:46 01 Jan 04

I'm considering an upgrade or purchasing another base unit.
My situation is I have a Compaq Deskpro EP/SB Series running 500Mhz Pentium III. 256mb memory. 10gb hard drive. Matrox MGA-G200 graphics card and am running Windows 95.
This has been fine for my needs, mainly internet browsing, word processing spreadsheets and a few games however I now have a digital camera and need to be able to use the USB ports to load pictures and then be able to store and manipulate them.
Would you buy xp and load it on the current system
or buy the upgrade from Windows 95 to ME or buy a new base unit.
I'd rather buy a base unit only as I don't see the need for more keyboards, mice and monitors to clutter up my garage. I also have some spare speakers around somewhere if needed. The current pc has an internal speaker which is fine.
If your answer is buy a base unit I probably only have a budget of around £400. I've found a few websites where you can spec your own base unit and would probably include a DVD-RW. What would you recommend to last for say three/four years?
Thanks for your help.

minter 21:07 01 Jan 04

If all you are wanting to improve your computer for is to download, manipulate and save pics:

Why not purchase a copy of W98se.

I know it is obsolete, but for what you are wanting it is the cheapest bet, and it would give you USB.

Put another 256mb of memory, if your board will take it.

Buy a card reader, a CD-RW drive, and a program like PSP.

You do not need a top end computer for photos, I used an old 266mhz PII with 384 ram for years and it did the job admirably.

minter 21:12 01 Jan 04

Sorry I never saw your HD size.

Photos eat up HD space and you will need a new one.

You should be able to do what you need and it should only cost about £100.

You could use some of what is left to purchase a photo quality printer.

goonerbill 22:34 01 Jan 04

as your running win95, i take it your motherboard dont have any USB ports on it, which means you will need to buy a USB card which are around £30 plus as your mobo is quite old, you will probably have to flash the bios or get a IDE card (£30 + -)as you probably will have trouble with any hard drive over 10/20gb.

with all the upgrades it would take to do what you want, it would cost around £150/200.
a new base unit would probably be your best option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…