More upgrade or no upgrade!??

bezzer20 11:01 25 Apr 07

hiya guys, iv recently upgraded my hp a1620.uk media center pc. added a gig of ram (pc2 4200)(now 2gb) increased power supply to from 260 watts to 550 Watts. Brought a 7900GS 512mb graphic card. Im considering replacing my procesoor, i currently have a 2.8ghz pentium D. Would it be worth while upgrading or not?? decisions?

donki 11:09 25 Apr 07

Depends on your motherboard bezzer, older motherboards can only take certain types/ speeds of processor. Saying that, its a good time to be buying a new cpu as prices are falling dramatically both for AMD and Intel. Post your MB model and I can see wot is the best CPU for u! :P

bezzer20 11:13 25 Apr 07

* Motherboard manufacturer's name: ASUS P5LP-LE
* HP/Compaq name: Leucite3-GL8E
thats all i can get m8 (from hp website)

Why wont it work 12:02 25 Apr 07

hmm, that's a 945 chipset so you can only upgrade to another Pentium D 800 series. No Pentium Extreme editions, or Pentium D 900 series or Core 2 Duos according to HPs website I'm afraid.

I would have thought that it would be capable of taking a pentium 900 series, perhaps there is a bios update available on HPs website which would allow you to do. If you could get a pentium D 900 that would be worth it, they run cooler and are a tad faster than the 800s.

As it stands, with official support supposedly only being for Pentium D 800s the fastest you could upgrade to is a Pentium D 840 @ 3.2ghz... i'm unsure that a 400mhz upgrade would be worth the effort myself

bezzer20 12:36 25 Apr 07

cheers for the feedbk m8, im no tsure think ill leave it for now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…