more tv buffering

bothy 21:03 PM 21 Jan 11

Got new dell laptop. Plenty of memory 4gb/500gb.
When i run bbc iplayer no problem. When I run skyplayer I get constant buffering. I don't understand. Why does that happen? Is sky (not hd) using adifferent broadcast system? Do I need additional equipment? Tks

Terry Brown 09:50 AM 22 Jan 11

It all depends on how much bandwidth Sky is using.

E.g. If you have a 4" water pipe and you have 10 people using it, all will get a get a good supply, however if 100 people are using the same pipe, each will get some but at a slower rate.

wee eddie 12:01 PM 22 Jan 11
  bothy 16:40 PM 22 Jan 11

So, in reality, does that mean that few people can stream live sky continuously without buffering or is it a function of where you live eg great in the Highlands but rubbish in London? I wanted to watch golf live on my laptop but buffering drives me crazy. How can I download live and watch later?

john bunyan 17:13 PM 22 Jan 11

In effect you want to use your PC as a HD or DVD TV recorder. On my desktop I have a built in TV Tuner and use the Media Centre function to record normal Freeview HD. Not sure what OS you have - I have W7 Ultimate on my desktop. On my laptop I have W7 Home Premium. On my laptop I have a USB TV dongle that works best plugged in to my roof aerial, but has a small aerial also. I can record TV on that via the freeview TV Dongle.My solution only applies to Freeview, not Sky or iPlayers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know