more trouble with serial/usb port

logrin 15:16 26 Feb 04

I have loaded the driver for this port installed the port and connected to my palm PDA and completed my hot sync. However after I shut down my computer then restart it the next day I get a message saying that "the com 3 port is not available etc.
I can no longer connect to my palm and have to start and reload the damned thing again from scatch.
I also have a problem when I shut down, the compuer sticks and won't shut off until I put out the 2 usb connectors. Does this affect my connections. greatly puzzled logrin

Diemmess 15:49 26 Feb 04

Chucking thoughts about in the hope it may give you a clue.

Had a problem needing to transfer data in usable lumps from a PC to an old Mac Powerbook incapable of further upgrade.
Was able to unplug the floppy port and replace with a serial to USB card/converter.

In the odd way Apple Mac do these things, I could plug all these bits in while the powerbook was running, but big hangups if I didn't back out step by step before shutting down. On the apple it meant dragging any memory stick and the USB connection to the "Trash can" before trying to shut down.

Translated the way I see it - perhaps means forget hot plugging and close ot shut all the tendrils down before you disconnect anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…