More ram, slower pc?

Alan-Petrie 00:12 03 Jul 09

Hi

A friend on mine bought a laptop and as such didnt need his desktop pc anymore, he then gave me the ram which was in it.

In my pc I currently have 2GB (2x1GB)DDR2 at 800mhz which i belive is pc6400, the ram he had was a single 2GB DDR2 stick pc5200.

When I installed the ram and started the computer up, when I booted to windows it confirmed 4GB of ram was now present, however the windows experience index dropped from 5.9 to 4.5, I found this strange as I knew my ram speed would be slowed but I didnt think it would matter much as there was more ram present.

I checked pc wizzard which told me my original ram is now running at 400mhz and the new ram which it says is pc4300 is only running at 266mhz. I didnt realise that they could run at two diffrent speeds at once, I also thought that they would be at 667mhz or at the very least 533mhz.

Any ideas why there has been such a slow down?

Thanks Alan

mrwoowoo 02:08 03 Jul 09

Which slots have you put them in?
Some four slot boards require 2 sticks of ram to be put into slots one and three.If you have put them in to the first two slots then that could explain it.

badhair1963 02:10 03 Jul 09

Your RAM will only run as fast as the lowest stick. Therefore, the whole lot is now running at 266Mhz rather than the 400Mhz it was before.

The solution: remove the slower RAM.

hrt1uk 03:05 03 Jul 09

:)

ram in computers are like conveyor belt .if you have two or more ram in your computer they must have same speed to work in parallel with each other( like two conveyor belt in parallel),if not the processors in your computer will wait for the slower one to deliver the rest of the information to prosers it , in other word each one of those ram will deliver port of the information for prosers. and the CPU will work slower . even in some cases your computer will crash & you will see the blue screen! if you are lucky your computer will work on speed of slower ram or even slower.

hrt1uk 03:11 03 Jul 09

i hope the my info is useful

Alan-Petrie 12:21 03 Jul 09

thanks for your help

what I dont understand thought is the two fastest sticks run at 800mhz, I did some the slower single 2GB stick should be runing at 667mhz I assumed the faster sticks would just slow down TO 667mhz but they have gne well below that.

hrt1uk 22:19 03 Jul 09

dear Alan-Petrie
this is an example
if
CPU clock on speed of 12 Hz(12=2x2x3)
First ram is on speed of 12 Hz(12=2x2x3)
Second ram is on speed of 9 Hz(9=3x3)
in parallel they will work on 3 Hz perfectly !!and some time little bit faster! but the perfect speed will be 3 Hz!

hrt1uk 03:52 05 Jul 09

dear Alan-Petrie
this is an example
if
CPU clock on speed of Z Hz(K=AxBxCxD)
First ram is on speed of X Hz(X=AxBxC)
Second ram is on speed of Y Hz(Y=AxB)
in parallel they will work on Y Hz perfectly !!and some time little bit faster! but the perfect speed will be Y Hz!
If second ram is on speed of Q Hz (Q=BxD)
in parallel they will work on B Hz perfectly !!and some time little bit faster! but the perfect speed will be B Hz!

hrt1uk 03:54 05 Jul 09

**CPU clock on speed of Z Hz(Z=AxBxCxD)**

Alan-Petrie 15:08 05 Jul 09

thanks for the help everyone, I have removed the slower 2GB stick and will just give it back.

Thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017