More RAM or faster processor?

Charlie Farnsbarns 21:39 05 Jan 04

Just a quick question that nobody in the retail sector seems willing/able to answer effectly-would I get better performance doubling my DDR Ram from 512mb to 1024mb or by upgrading my processor from the present P4 2Ghz-to something like 2.8Ghz or Athlon equivalent. Many Thanks

woodchip 21:41 05 Jan 04

What you tying to do send a robot to Mars, They used less than what you got to put a man on the moon, acording to TV other day

powerless 21:42 05 Jan 04

What you use your computer for?

Pamy 21:47 05 Jan 04

512 Mb memory enough for most progs.

So, faster CPU better

Pamy

DieSse 22:07 05 Jan 04

The answer is, as staed above - it all depends what you're doing. However there are some other issues.

The newset fastest P4s use HT (Hyperthreading) and an 800MHz FSB - which only works with motherboards designed for it.

The latest motherboards also support dual channel RAM - which is a much faster way of running the RAM - but it has to be installed in matching pairs for this to work.

So upgrading to a faster new type P4, or an Athlon, to get the real benefits, would also mean changing the motherboard, and the RAM also.

So a good processor upgrade would be much more expensive than a RAM upgrade.

If your motherboard supports it you could try going to the older model P4s - but even the faster ones of these use a 533MHz FSB - and your motherboard might be 400MHz only, which has a maximum processor speed of 2.6GHz

Mysticnas 22:14 05 Jan 04

i sense a negative aura about you... your posts have been quite negative lately...

is everything ok?

citadel 22:16 05 Jan 04

the normal rule is do not upgrade your processor unless your doubling it. Some games are better with 1024 of ram.

woodchip 22:25 05 Jan 04

No, no problem it's just that most do word processing and a few spread sheets and may be the odd game. PS I have never been for the latest and greatest. I was brought up in a different time frame. You must be young and pots of money. Where as I am old and content

Mysticnas 23:00 05 Jan 04

24, but deffinately not got pots of money. I'm not one of these people that gets what ever he/she asks mummy and daddy for. I've worked hard for what i've got. I think things have probably progressed somewhat since you were my age. I see kids now in primary schools with mobile phones, something i never saw years ago. Kids younger 9 that know how to do a lot more than i did at my age.

Something i remember my old tutor talking about; kids that phoned up asking about what is taught on the courses at uni and telling them about all the software that they get to use etc, with the kids replying "I learnt to use that ages ago, isn't there anything new?"

It's that Moores Law again, it's going out of the window really. I mean 2 processors per year??? how many have we had in 2003 alone? how about the GPU advancement?

Basically things are growing much quicker than we're used to, and the older we get the more we'll notice it. My eldest brother 36 goes on about how he managed at uni with a 286, and now we're using P4's etc...

Perhaps we're developing technologically at rate at which we can not cope??? who know's??

woodchip 23:06 05 Jan 04

Well I have to agree on what you said, I have also said to my daughter a bit older than you about 44 that youngsters and many old people to day could do with the phone grafting on to there head

Stuartli 08:56 06 Jan 04

More RAM will make far, far more difference than a faster CPU in normal circumstances - and is much, much cheaper.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…