More RAM means slower?

kiddgame2000 19:43 19 Jan 06

I just upgraded from 1GB of ddr 400 to 2GB and my computer seems to be running slower when i play games.
Is this possible?

jack 19:54 19 Jan 06

Indeed possible - the MoBo spec may not support 2gb are you sure it can? Did you check the manual/website.
Also is it the correct type of RAM?

Post the full detail of your machine

kiddgame2000 23:44 19 Jan 06

It supports 4gb.

ASUS A8N-SLI Motherboard. I see no reason why it should not work.

Skyver 23:45 19 Jan 06

Is this just subjective or have you done any actual tests?

woodchip 23:50 19 Jan 06

Cannot understand the need for anything in that order. I have only 256MB on both a Win98se and a XP Desktop that I do Video Editing without any problems. the only one I upgraded was my XP Laptop to 512MB but it does not make it run any faster. What will speed my Laptop up is a Faster Drive. From 4.200rpm to a 5.400rpm when I get roun to it, will do a lot more than adding ram. You only need that For intensive Graphics work like Photo and Video Editing

gudgulf 23:57 19 Jan 06

Is the new RAM the same spes as the original RAM?

One other important point.......Using 2GB of RAM,as I do myself will NOT speed up your game play.

What it can do is make game play smoother in games where large amounts of graphics textures are loaded into memory.With enough RAM you dont get as much swapping to the hard drive which can cause pauses and momentary drops in frame rate(lag).

It is also worth mentioning that you will only get any improvement if you are running at the highest resolutions and settings...and only in a handful of latest games (although that number is rising quickly).

Read thi thoroughly click here

It will tell you all you need to know about running with 2GB of RAM.

User-312386 23:58 19 Jan 06

sounds like you have not fitted the same type of ram

BigRik 16:42 20 Jan 06

I think gudgulf makes a good point about adding more RAM. I recently added 1GB of RAM to my system. It has NOT speeded up gameplay, but it HAS made it smoother.

I've also noticed that after gaming, the PC goes back to Windows faster as well.

kiddgame2000 16:59 20 Jan 06

No the RAM is correct i used the crucial website ram selecter.

I suppose i could run a few tests.

Thanks for all the help.

jack 17:18 20 Jan 06

One last think ,donot take for granted that becuase you have read that a partcular MoBo will ake a particular amount of RAM it will or can..
Then manual for my 64 bit Foxconn for example at one point states that it has "3 184 pin DDR slots supporting 128/256/512 technology up to 3GB"

That is a quote from the manual.

Now I might not be very bright in my old age but if 512 is the max any one slot can take - I aint gonna get to 3 Gb- what do you reckon?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…