More RAM = Lower Score ?

fpg 12:29 07 May 09

I have just upgraded from 2gb to 4gb by filling the vacant slot of a two slot mobo (MSI). So there are two 2gb memory pieces, the latest just bought from Crucial to get a good match (DDR2 667 (mhz) The original 2gb is branded Swissbit made in Germany also DDR2 667mhz.

BUT the Vista Experience Index has gone DOWN from 5.0 to 4.5. This I did not expect. Is the PC now slower with 4gb ?

System has Vista HP with SP1, Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2ghz.
Very curious !

User-1229748 12:33 07 May 09

how many times have you run the index,sometimes i found i had to run it more than once to get top marks as it were

birdface 12:34 07 May 09

Maybe download SIW it will tell you what you have on your computer and how much memory and what is getting used.

click here

I am Spartacus 12:36 07 May 09

Could be slower timings on the new RAM.

Pine Man 12:47 07 May 09

Your 'index' is determined by the lowest subscore.

You get subscores for Processor, Memory, Graphics, Gaming graphics and Primary hard Disk.

Are you saying your Memory subscore has gone down from 5 to 4.5 or your overall score.

If it's your memory I would suggest that the two makes are probably incompatible.

Have you tried removing the new RAM and seeing what happens?

fpg 12:53 07 May 09

Thanks for all comments. The RAM index score has dropped from 5.0 to 4.5 (no change with others) so this reduces the overall score based on the lowest score which is the 4gb RAM.
I will try several reboots and also checking the new memory solo index.
Will report back.
fpg

wotbus@ 13:00 07 May 09

2G slot 1, slot 2 vacant - now
2G slot 1 and 2G slot 2.
It depends on applications of course but generally users don't see much difference between 2 and 4G. There is no real reason to see a drop in performance though unless there is a mismatch with the new 2G.
Does the mobo support dual-channel working?
If so, and it's auto-selected simply by inserting addional memory, the memory must be the same (preferably a matched pair) as that in slot 1.
First, check the mobo's specs. Have a look in the BIOS set-up to make sure that the memory timings are set to Auto Select.
Try the new 2G on it's own in slot 1 and see what score you get.
I suspect I am Spartacus has it:-
Mismatched memory will only run at the speed of the slowest.
I don't know much about Vista so maybe this should be in the Vista forum :-)

fpg 17:46 07 May 09

Responding to points above -

The Crucial 2gb module on its own has a 4.6 score on Vista Index.

The Swissbit 2gb module has a score of 5.0

But the two together have an Index score of 4.5

It seems like a new kind of maths or an imprecise Vista Index system.

Multi boot does not change the 4.5 score.

In my bios (American Megatrends) I can see no reference to memory settings.

I have contacted Crucial (with a photo of the two modules) and the reply will be in 4 business days.

This not an earth shaking PC problem but an interesting technical one if we wish to upgrade our memory.

fpg 18:29 07 May 09

As suggested above by buteman I ran SIW which produced even stanger results
According to “SIW” System Info Windows

Crucial DDR2 (pc2 6400) speed 400mhz (DDR2 800)
Swissbit DDR2 (pc2 5300) speed 333mhz (DDR2 667)
On the above info the faster module seems to be the Crucial but Vista Index Score is 4.6.
The'slower' Swissbit Vista Index score scores 5.0

I now have doubts about Vista and SIW (which said I had 4 memory slots but there are only two)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…