More than one email address

MICKY BOY 09:49 13 Jul 06

Hi All,

I have an email address for me and wife. Freeserve.co.uk)
Would like to set up a new one using the same server but for business. Using Orangehome.co.uk their new name. With a completely new email address is this possible ?

Regards Mick

Batch 09:58 13 Jul 06

In a word, yes.

Just go ahead and set it up.

If you are using the same ISP it's even easier, as otherwise you'd need to set the outgoing mail server (SMTP) for the account that you don't connect on to be the SMTP server of the one that you do connect on. As it's all with Orange, this should not be an issue.

Batch 10:00 13 Jul 06

One other point, if you go through the whole process from the Orange website and let it install all the settings, you'll probably find that your default connection, mail account and settings are based on the new account. You may want to adjust these afterwards. It's really a matter of personal choice - do you want the original account to be the default or the new one.

MICKY BOY 10:09 13 Jul 06

batch
I want the new one not to show, even in properties the old account details.
My old email has my wife’s school nickname i.e BooBoo in it as you can imagine not good on a firms email.
What do you suggest ?

Mick

johnnyrocker 10:47 13 Jul 06

the new one will be whatever you decide it to be.

johnny.

Woolwell 11:01 13 Jul 06

With Orange (previously Wanadoo and before that Freeserve) you can have any name before the @username.freeserve.co.uk or @username.wanadoo.co.uk. However you cannot change the username part without getting a new account. If you have something like [email protected] then you are stuck.

I think that a better option for a business is to buy a separate domain name. The e-mail with this can be accessed through Orange and delivered to Outlook Express or Outlook or another e-mail client.

Woolwell 11:16 13 Jul 06

Apologies if I have inadvertently put a correct e-mail link above. Please ask FE to delete if necessary.

MICKY BOY 11:22 13 Jul 06

Woolwell

have just found out on orange website what you have just told me Thanks for info

Thanks to my wife, I seem to be stuck with BooBoo on my email address

Mick

Woolwell 11:25 13 Jul 06

Domain names plus an e-mail account can work out quite cheaply. Have a look at 1&1 for a starter.

spuds 11:43 13 Jul 06

If you go via Woolwell suggestion, you will find it easier for a business purpose. I use 1&1 click here on a number of business accounts for this very reason.

Stuartli 11:48 13 Jul 06

Several years ago, because I "bagged" the first e-mail address with WorldOnline with our surname after the @ and before worldonline.co.uk i.e. @surname.worldonline.co.uk, my son decided he didn't want @surname1.worldonline.co.uk for his own WOL service (vanity?)

So he set up a surname.co.uk domain which costs under a tenner annually to retain and, what's more, the family can all use it despite living in different areas.

Further, my [email protected] is not even listed in Outlook Express/Thunderbird e-mail accounts, yet e-mails are still collected in the normal fashion; it's the same for the other family members.

How he did it I'm not sure, but no doubt down to IT support consultant status know how...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…