more network card problems

phillyjobab 23:06 15 Dec 05

i just got dsl, and tried to hook it up. it works fine on my laptop, but when it is plugged into my desktop, the comp. won't transfer data or anything.
i get green lights, and it says my network is connected. it says everything is "working properly", but i can't get my sbc disc to finish, it says my modem isn't connected.
tech support can't help.
when i go to 192.168.0.1 it gives me a message to the effect of "request was refused"
sbc, d-link, and dynex are all too dumb, i think it might be my motherboard, but i need an expert.

keewaa 14:54 16 Dec 05

Could you explain your setup clearly. If your using an adsl modem then you shouldn't need the setup disc again after the first computer is working ... you just plug in and use it for the other computers.

phillyjobab 17:25 16 Dec 05

my modem is hooked into a router, then directly into the ethernet port on the motherboard. i think that the port is the problem, so i got a ethernet card, but still no help.
my motherboard is a k7s5a

keewaa 19:27 16 Dec 05

" can't get my sbc disc to finish, it says my modem isn't connected."

Once you had the laptop working, you should only have plugged the ethernet in to get it to work on a second computer. It should not be necessary to run the setup disc again, and yes you will get a no modem message as the computers are now connected to the router. Go into internet settings on the PC and check that the connection tab is set to use the LAN.

phillyjobab 20:04 16 Dec 05

ipconfig tells me my ip is 0.0.0.0
tech support said it's a hardware thing
my network connections say they're connected
i've done ipconfig /release
i've tried ipconfig /renew, but it says it can't find the file, i don't get it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…