More memory woes

Stowit 19:13 24 May 04

I've bought 1 GB of 'high density' double sided RAM. My Pc wouldn't boot (now I believe it's due to the O/s) & it was exchanged. However the replacement chip boots ok but was shown as 480mb (now ascertained not 512 mb, due to on board graphics.) So again it was replaced. Now this chip is the same. A friends Pc recognised it in BIOS as 1GB but wouldn't boot. (O/s XP pro). An other friends Pcs (Win 2K) wouldn't boot. Any one any suggestions. I dontwant to buy XP & it still not work.

cream. 19:34 24 May 04

Motherboard model and your O\S would be helpful.

Stowit 20:20 24 May 04

Sorry MSI P4MAM-L. I mailed MSI with the spec of the memory & they said it was OK. It currently has ME as O/s, but I'm aware that this won't work. Where as initialy it didn't (original stick) it does now, but only recognises 512mb!

cream. 20:53 24 May 04

Yes I have just had a look at the manual.Both your memory slots should take up to a gig each and they could be single or double sided chips. I thought that may have been the problem.

Windows 9X does have the 512Mb problem, but it usually recognises more ram but this usually slow the machine down.

This may help.click here

lezw 21:01 24 May 04

for any problems with ram compatability go to crucial if they recomend a type of ram it is guaranteed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…