More Memory Required?

anniel 13:44 30 Dec 04

Husband is connected to internet via our wireless connection. Our signal strength is nearly always low, due to being in a basement flat with very thick walls.

However, I seem to sail along compared to him.

He has a Dell Dimension and is running XP Pro with 384MB Ram.

He really does not have lots of applications nor a long startup list. He just surfs a few sites, but the PC is so slow.

Have:

Defragged; Ran Spy Bot, Ran AdAware, SpywareBlaster.

Is it just the poor strength of the Network connection, or is the size of the RAM affecting the performance of the PC? I had wondered if you need more RAM for Windows XP Pro.

I have to say I am a bit disillusioned with the wireless network business and we are seriously thinking of getting him his own ISP. He would only need a 512 speed and I would think he could get one for about £20 pm.

However, I would like some opinion /advice about the slow browsing and whether anything can be done to help it.

AndySD 13:52 30 Dec 04

I suspect its just the connection. Which wireless router are you using as some allow you to attach an arial to boost the signal.

anniel 14:10 30 Dec 04

We have a Netgear WGR 614 54g Mbps, plus husband has
a Netgear W111 54 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 adapter on his machine.

I had read somewhere about this aerial booster business, but am not sure whether our router is suitable for this.

Any advice?

AndySD 16:00 30 Dec 04

No it cant take an arial sorry. But have you tried moving the router to a different place to see if this improves reception in the other room.

checho 16:25 30 Dec 04

XP needs 256 mb so he has enough. Look at Windows Task Manager (press Ctrl +Alt+Del). Select processes and see what processes are using more memory. If that looks o.k. the problem must be with the router and walls.

User-312386 16:28 30 Dec 04

however, 512 is the recommeneded

anniel 16:50 30 Dec 04

We have tried the router in different places in our hallway, but not much joy.

I am torn between getting a better router, say a Linksys, if that would all allow a better aerial, or telling husband to get his own direct connection!! I guess I have no guarantee if I replace the router that the signal would be much improved!

We could wait until we tear up the carpets to replace them with wood and then go for a direct connection sharing, but it may be a long wait!

I already pay £35 per month to Homechoice for my connection, which is expensive as I do not use the video service. I have thought we could both have our own separate Plusnet connections for about the same price as I pay for Homechoice.

I have stayed with HC because they have a reliable service with a local phone number for technical help and they are very good to deal with.

dan 11 17:07 30 Dec 04

I am using the eqivelent belkin product to the netgear WG111 click here

This comes with a 1 to 1.5 metre cable and a caddy to hold the usb 2.0 device. The idea being you can position the dongle to get the best signal. I get a constant 4 bars, signal strenght, over a 100metre clear range. But of course you live in a basement flat so signal strenght must be difficult.

The point being, does yours plug straight in to the machine or does it have a usb2.0 extention cable with it.click here

AndySD 17:14 30 Dec 04

click here and have a read first. I am sure I have seen signal boosters arround as well. I will have a look.

anniel 17:19 30 Dec 04

The Adapter husband uses does have about 4ft of cable so he can move it around a bit. It is a USBB connection.

I just looked at his connection and the signal strength is low..2Mbps.

Mine also shows Low signal strength, but is 54Mbps.

I do not understand it!!

dan 11 21:45 30 Dec 04

I think as AndySD says "But have you tried moving the router to a different place to see if this improves reception in the other room" or move your husbands PC a bit nearer to the router.

A low signal strength of 2Mb does not always mean a very poor download rate. Have your husband open this click here? to find his current speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…