more memory. Is it worth it

grumpano 11:03 04 Apr 04

Hello.. Iv'e got a athlon 2200 with an asus a7 66m board and 256 memory. Is it worth putting more memory in my pc? Looking at the prices on crucial i was thinking of adding an extra 512. what do you recomend?

byfordr 11:11 04 Apr 04

If you use xp it is definately worth it, the cost is relatively low compared to the performance gains. Adding more memory beyond 512mb has smaller performance gains.

R

bremner 11:12 04 Apr 04

Definitely.

If you are running XP with only 256MB you will benefit noticeably by adding an additional 512MB.

You are running an almost identical spec to myself, when i went from 256 to 512 the difference was shocking, expecially when using phtoshop whilst say connected to the net at the same time.

DO IT!!!

grumpano 11:21 04 Apr 04

So would you recomend i upgrade by 256 or 512?
Is it easy to fit?

grabster 11:22 04 Apr 04

I was thinking of upping my mem from 512 to 1gig on a similar system but reading what byfordr has to say may be i should change my ancient geforce mmx440 instead,would i get better performance this way ? my system is used for gameing and surfing.

grabster 11:23 04 Apr 04

dead easy to fit,just pop it into an empty slot and bingo...

Its so easy, even i could do it! Just make sure you have correct RAM, just match what you already have, i use Crucial...great RAM, never had a bad stick. Well, as RAM is so cheap right now i would say go for 512. (extra that is). I went for 512 total....huge gains, but another 256 would not hurt anyone, especially if you like to play around with video, CAD or photoshop etc.

Mister Splendid 11:24 04 Apr 04

Subject to any limitations of your motherboard (check the manual first), the more the better. and it is very easy to fit.

TommyRed 11:24 04 Apr 04

My brother fitted some and he can barely turn his mcchine on. Sorry bruv if you're reading this. TR

grumpano 11:27 04 Apr 04

Thamks guys i'm going to invest next month..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…