More internal hard drives?

Logov 15:01 02 Nov 03

Looking at my motherboard and its corresponding manual I have only two IDE input sockets. This allows me to run four IDE drives, which is what I'm currently doing (2HDD's + 1CDRW + 1DVD) from two cables. I'm sure I already know the answer to this but without going external does anyone know of a way of running a third HDD?

fishmad pete 15:15 02 Nov 03

If you have a spare PCI slot you could install an IDE card to increase the number of hard drives

flecc 15:38 02 Nov 03

Yes, those PCI cards usually give two extra IDE sockets for four more drives and are generally UDMA 100. They have their own BIOS so no problems there.

The only objection is that some drive utilities such as partitioners don't always recognise PCI borne hard drives, but Fdisk will so it's easily overcome.

From all main suppliers, Dabs, Simply, Maplins etc., they are sometimes listed under IO cards.

DieSse 16:18 02 Nov 03

Just a caution - before adding yet more devices internally - look at the capacity of your PSU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…