More basic HTML questions

Hi guys.
I've got a few more basic questions to ask if you've got time.
Do tables affect loading times much at all? It's just that I've gone a bit table potty & was wondering if I should abandon them now before my website is ready.

Artwork. I scanned some of my pencil drawings from 15-20 years ago & have tried to alter the image sizes or use jpg compression but it hurts too much (if you know what I mean) Shall I try smaller image sizes with less compression. Some of them are over 200k. I was planning on using thumbs too with a description/file size for when the mouse is left over them.

and lastly, the colours I've opted to use for my background (#111111) & text (#CCCCCC) aren't websafe, will it matter? I really like it, but I'm sure most will say it's cold & depressing.

anyway thanks for any suggestions

James Lardy

oliverdore 22:21 12 Jul 03

Tables don't affect loading times (no more than any other form of page structure) - they are just interpreted text really. I've used them on all the sites I've made since I learnt a bit more about HTML awhile ago, and never looked back. Only danger in using them is that some browsers don't like a lot of nested tables, it can lead to unforseen conseqeuences.

For your artwork, if I were you, I would produce thumbnails and link to larger files on your server. Make the thumbnails large enough for the user to see what the images are. For the larger version of the images, don't make them too large. I use (as a rule of thumb) 600 width > the relative height - since this is suitable for a variety of resolutions.

If possible, choose web safe colours. If your user has a low colour setting on their computer - and you are not using web safe colours - the browser will replace your chosen colours with colours nearest to them (within the web-safe framework).

I hope this helps, good luck!

-oliverdore-

Falkyrn 22:35 12 Jul 03

I would echo much of what oliverdore has said ... re your images you may find gif versions give better results than jpg

As a rule of thumb jpg's are better at compressing high colour content images while gif's can often work better on lower colour counts.

Falkyrn 22:35 12 Jul 03

I would echo much of what oliverdore has said ... re your images you may find gif versions give better results than jpg

As a rule of thumb jpg's are better at compressing high colour content images while gif's can often work better on lower colour counts.

Taran 09:55 13 Jul 03

JPEG is normally fine for scanned pencil drawings.

For the web, scanning at 150dpi or so is normally sufficient for general imaging, but you can go up if need be for really crisp results.

Rather than resize to a specific width as suggested by oliverdore, I normally prefer to resize to a specific height and then save as jpeg.

On a tables page or gallery where you go from image page to image page, it means any accompanying text and the rest of the page layout (including any navigation over the top) is in the same relative height position, with a little room either side for different image widths. This doesn't help if you navigation is on the side of the page though where specifying the width would be more appropriate, but it's worth keeping in mind if you use links or a link bar at page top or bottom.

Just a thought.

Your best bet for consistency between browsers is to stick with one of the web friendly colours. Browsers that best guess the background sometimes get things horribly wrong, so I'm sure you'd prefer a predictable result than a possibly random background fill.

Finally, unless you go absolutely crazy with tables where you start doing complex nested layouts which some browsers find confusing you should be fine. I would always suggest tables over all other layout methods as a first choice for page presentation. Just be aware that tables within tables can be mangled by web browsers.

Regards

Taran

Cheers for your input guys!
I've gone along with what oliverdore said and actually changed the images size to his recommended 600 width (with side menu bar). Some files are still a little on the big side but I will be adding thumbnails with a size warning.

I don't like the idea of someones browser randomly picking a colour for my background/text etc and getting it all wrong so I will also take another look at a websafe colour chart and experiment again.

I think my tables will be okay. I've no nested ones anyway, but I was using them for paragraphs of text, I just thought I might be overdoing it a bit.

Thanks again for taking time to help

James L

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…