Moodle

Graham ® 10:43 22 Sep 05

Is this a website building tool?
click here

Taran 11:08 22 Sep 05

Yes, sort of (ambiguous answer I know) ;-)

It's a Content Management System or, more accurately in this case, a Course Management System (CMS) geared towards the education sector.

A CMS has a web browser based control panel that allows you to add, delete and otherwise edit the content of your site, from individual pages to complete email systems for multiple users, depending on the CMS and its features. Think of Dreamweaver or FrontPage embedded into a web page - that's how you edit site content.

I like Moodle - I've helped set it up for a couple of schools and it works like a charm.

Like any other CMS you can template the entire look of the site by editing just a couple of files. Unless you are familiar with PHP and MySQL you may scratch your head a bit when you first kick things off, but if you get stuck at all post your queries here or check out the documentation for Moodle on its own site and see where you go.

T

Graham ® 11:24 22 Sep 05

Thanks for that. So, presumably, I could build a site on my machine, then FTP to my webspace. Would this be in addition to my existing Gallery, which is on click here?

Taran 13:53 22 Sep 05

Yes and no.

You've missed the point I think.

A CMS lives on your web server.

You access its control panel using an online web page where you log in securely using username/password combinations.

Once logged in you can use the control panel tools to edit/adjust and otherwise molest your site.

To use Moodle on your own computer you would need a fully fledged web server installed that was capable of supporting its requirements (Apache, MySQL, PHP and so on).

There is not "design on my PC then FTP to web server" approach with a CMS.

That's its beauty. You do all of your site editing through the online control panel in your web browser. No Dreamweaver or FrontPage required.

It means you can access the site from any web browser anywhere in the world and as long as you remember your username/password you can log in and make changes in real time.

Graham ® 13:57 22 Sep 05

OK, thanks. I keep looking for a tool that will do all the hard work for me; the best I've found so far is Gallery, so I guess I'll stick with that for now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…