Monthly Windows Updates cause problems

thumbscrew 23:03 15 Oct 14

I always know when the monthly Windows patches are due to arrive, as when I boot up my machine is slow, unresponsive and downright frustrating until I've loaded them....and that's if they don't cause problems. But they're not done yet, as when I shut down they still seem to be doing something and to add to that, next time I boot up they then reappear and once again appear to be loading. Today's lot reappeared on my third boot up. I know they could be important, but historically they've caused me significant freezing problems and I'm beginning to dread them and class them as an unwelcome nuisance. Anyone else ditto?

spuds 23:52 15 Oct 14

Do you use 'automatic' download and install, then find that some of the updates have not loaded. Or do you use 'custom' to install any updates?.

thumbscrew 09:53 16 Oct 14

Hello spuds, I'm told onscreen that updates are ready and they download when I shut down.

spuds 10:01 16 Oct 14

thumbscrew

If you are using W7, then you could read the following link. Not sure if it applies to W8 though, in which case, an internet search might be required click here

alanrwood 13:24 16 Oct 14

The install messages on shut down and boot up are quite normal. Some files cant be updated immediately as they are in use at the time.

Set Windows Update to Advise but don't Download then you can pick your own time.

thumbscrew 17:38 16 Oct 14

Thank you alanrwood, explains perfectly. Cheers too spud, checking your link now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…