Monitor/System Freeze?

Lynds 12:07 18 Dec 03

Any further advice would be lovely. New system in Oct. XP home, P4 Proc, 256MB RAM, 76GB. Fine for 2/3 weeks then the screen began freezing. Sent back to supplier and they recorded no fault. All updates complete, virus scan fine. Found an error on display driver last week, downloaded latest from ATI website and installed. Removed a photoshop that a computer friend said may conflict, but no joy. Screen appears to freeze in no partucular programme, but the base appears to still work, though i cannot guarantee this as i cant see the screen. Other thing happened today is the monitor goes stand by, showing 3 colours in the middle and in each colour: Self test, check your pc and signal cable, monitor is working. Supplier says to re-install Windows but some programmes wont back up at the moment and dont want to loose anything. Cheers

faintly curious 13:06 18 Dec 03

Hi Lynds

System lockups are often caused by hardware conflicts. Have you checked your device manager to see if there any conflicting devices in there?

Patrick.

Lynds 18:34 18 Dec 03

Thanks for that, as it happens there wasnt, and then after numerous funny noises, they finally decided i had a corrupt hard-drive, so it has been back, had a new one installed and all is fine so far. I new it wasnt a software problem! Thank you for your time!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…