monitor's gone a bit pink

keef66 13:28 09 Jan 06

I have a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 17" CRT which is approaching 4 yrs old. Some time in the last couple of days I noticed the display has a pronounced pink tint. Apparently neither of our teenagers have done anything to it (?)
Is the monitor on the way out? (-nicely out of warranty.)
Could the Adobe gamma thing that loads at start up have anything to do with it?
Could the graphics card be on the way out?

I'd obviously like a new graphics card and a tft monitor, but neither my wife nor Natwest would sanction the expenditure.

Methedrine 13:47 09 Jan 06

Try a degauss first.

Adam87 13:58 09 Jan 06

I think your monitor is on its way out. Ive had that happen before to a CRT monitor. Ive also had a blue tint as well.

PC Bilbo 14:13 09 Jan 06

Methedrine may be right but try here which will also
explain degaussing if you navigate around.

click here

keef66 14:21 09 Jan 06

Unlikely to need degaussing, and no option to do it manually anyway. The thing degausses itself each time it is powered up. Scared the living daylights out of me the first time. Makes a noise like somebody kicking the back of a fridge. Maybe it's been faulty from the start and this is the result of 4 years without degaussing???

DieSse 14:39 09 Jan 06

If it's an overall pink tinge, then it's a monitor issue that degaussing will not cure.

However, many graphics card drivers have the facility to change the colour balance, which might at least keep you going for the time being.

Which card and which driver revision do you have?

Gongoozler 15:09 09 Jan 06

Before you try anything drastic, simply unplug the video cable from your computer, and if it's a plug connection at the monitor from there too, check that there are no sharp kinks in the cable, then plug it back in again. That's what turned out to be the problem on my computer.

De Marcus™ 15:18 09 Jan 06

A pinkish tinge is indicitave of a green electron colour gun failing, if all the rest still doesn't work, use this as an excuse to buy yourself a nice shiny new monitor.

amonra 15:47 09 Jan 06

click here
To test your monitor download this useful program, checks just about everything.

keef66 16:32 09 Jan 06

From memory (I'm at work and it's at home) it's an unbranded GeForce MX440 64mb with Nvidia 41.09 drivers which have worked OK for 3 years.

I'm not pathological about updating drivers for the sake of it; I see they are up to v 80 something now, but I always assume the improvements are for cards newer than mine.

DieSse 16:51 09 Jan 06

I can't remember that far back with drivers :-))

For variuos reasons, I've got virtually the same card in my system at present (the better one gave up the ghost, and my funds are going into quiet fans etc right now!). But I do use the latest, or near the latest drivers - always have done. They do have performance advantages, and extra facilities, as well as supporting newer cards.

My driver will allow me to tweak the colour profile - yours may or may not - but anyway, here's how to in my driver :-

Right-click the desktop - Choose Properties - Settings - Advanced. Click on the tab for your card (it's an nVidia added tab). You'll get a screen with Colour Correction on it - where you can tweak away to your hearts content.

A pink tinge may be due to one of two things - too much red - or too little of something else.

I'm not sure what effect the Adobe Gamma software has - I suppose you could always uninstall it and see what happens. But these type of problems with older monitors are not that uncommon, so I'd be inclined to suspect the monitor. I had a similar one myself about a year back - and tweaked the card as above to improve things.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos