monitors and games

Kypros 16:52 11 Dec 03

Would anyone have any idea whether a 17" TFT monitor as supplied with the latest Mesh computer systems is up to the job of displaying all the latest games? I heard that a 19" CRT is better but more expensive, and that you can order one instead of the TFT, but some say that the TFT as supplied is just as good, even though you can't change the resolution.
All opinions would be welcome in making a decision when buying a new Mesh computer soon.

K.H 17:10 11 Dec 03

Is there no option of getting a CRT monitor? because iv'e heard that the TFT's can't handle games like CRT's can due to thier slow refresh rate. Where as a CRT can get refresh rates of up to 90hrz, if you spend a little.

madPentium 17:15 11 Dec 03

Thats very true. TFT screens use chemical reaction speeds, whereas a cathode ray tube fires electrons near the speed of light at the phosphorous.
TFT is unfortunately (in my opinion) a backward technology and is only there to save space. Nothing else is beneficial, including how much easier it is to clean glass on a crt.
If a crt could be made flat, they would have put those on laptops Im sure. They still havnt successfully got electrons to bounce at right angles accurately though.

K.H 17:18 11 Dec 03

Yes, if i were you, i would ask for a decent 19" or 17" CRT (the large non-flat screens) instead. But not to worry you can get flat screen CRT's aswell.

Regards

K.H

bremner 17:24 11 Dec 03

The answer to your actual question is....yes the monitors supplied with Mesh machines are up to playing the latest games.

Whether they perform as well as a CRT is a matter of opinion.

Kypros 17:29 11 Dec 03

Thanks for the lightning quick response.

I am researching for my brother who is going to get a Mesh on my advice. I have a 19" perfectly flat CTX PR960F CRT monitor which is the "jewel in the crown" of my system and I love it to bits even though I don't play the latest games on it as of yet.

But I don't want to tell my brother not to get a TFT monitor if they are just as good and a lot cheaper and more stylish. He wants to play games on it, I know, so it is quite important to get to him the proper and accurate "gen".

Else my cred will be trashed.

citadel 19:23 11 Dec 03

crt monitors are normally cheaper than tft. If the tft is cheaper than a crt i can't see it being very good.

ams4127 19:29 11 Dec 03

I can't speak for the model supplied by Mesh, but the LG Flatron 1810B supplied with my Evesham is every bit as good as the 19" CRT it replaced. No ghosting on even the fastest games and perfect DVD reproduction.

duplo 19:43 11 Dec 03

I have a TFT, I have no problems with playing games, and its easy on the eye with text.

I admit, it not as amazing as my pure flat 17" crt I had.

If you dont need space or transport, then get the 19" CRT, but if you want a classy look and save some space, get a TFT, your brother will be able to play and enjoy games on both!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…