Monitoring Internet Traffic.

dogbreath1 17:04 26 Mar 05

Could anyone please recommend an application which would work with XP/SP2/Firefox and which would monitor internet traffic (both blocked or otherwise) and display the IP addresses (and site names if recognised) of inbound traffic and the name of the applications generating outbound traffic. I don't need an option to permit/block this traffic like Zone Alarm (ZA) already offers, it would mainly be informatative. One reason for my interest in this is that ZA frequently shows attempts on communication (on it's traffic meter in the system tray) which appear blocked. I am curious to know what this attempted traffic is.

octal 20:45 26 Mar 05

If you are on broadband you'll probably find its broadcast traffic running in the background, basically its your ISP asking who's on-line and what is the serial number of the network card? This is a picture of my traffic log of about ten seconds: click here its harmless traffic.

That log was using Ethereal which is for Linux, I think this Windows one is similar: click here

dogbreath1 21:27 26 Mar 05

Cheers! I've installed your recommendation and I'll spend some time checking it out. So far it's certainly interesting. I've no worries about the content of traffic save to say, when an attempt to access the net by a running application fails, I would like to know what it is. This is to be sure that I have not unwittingly blocked access to the net for a process which has a legitimite right to 'phone home' or wherever. The app. which you suggested will not, I think, do that but nevertheless I'm enjoying playing with a new toy!!

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:34 26 Mar 05

You are wasting your time and this is why.................
The 'alerts/attacks' are merely computers on the net asking your computer if it is still connected; these queries are called 'handshakes'. When you are connected to the net you could be going through many servers and routers. This occurs in a millisecond, so you do not notice. All these routers and servers need to know that your computer is receiving, so that they can send images and WebPages to your IP, which is in effect, your mailbox or receiving station. When on the Net you can pass through more than 20 servers and routers and they could all be handshaking your computer at short intervals. You will notice many of the 'alerts' come from Telecoms, which should come as no surprise as they own most of the routers etc. It is also interesting and miraculous that the 'alerts' disappear when you pay for the *ahem* Pro-Version of a firewall (see Zonealarm;-) ).

If you were being hacked, I can assure you that you would not get an alert.

Turn off all the alert buttons/warnings on your firewall safe in the knowledge that you will not be hacked.

G

dogbreath1 09:06 27 Mar 05

GANDALF <|:-)>

As I said to octal...

"I've no worries about the content of traffic save to say, when an attempt to access the net by a running application fails, I would like to know what it is. This is to be sure that I have not unwittingly blocked access to the net for a process which has a legitimite right to 'phone home' or wherever."

octal 15:31 27 Mar 05

Quite right, I'm always curious to know whats going on on my own machine which is connected to the Internet, I don't think being curious as being a waste of time, that's how you learn.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…