Monitor wrecking graphics card?

pjwheeldon 09:12 07 Aug 06

Anyone know if this is possible? Have a nephew whose machine has ruined 3 graphics cards. After the last one had a rebuilt, replacing all components with the exception of the monitor, proccessor and the RAM. Machine has worked without problem until 2 weeks age when the graphcis card failed again! Investigation my local PC shop confirmed it had been blown.

My only thought is that the monitor is somehow causing this, but only because I am at a loss to explain this otherwise. Any suggestions or confirmaiton would be a great help!

Pamy 09:25 07 Aug 06

Cannot see monitor as the cause but, try another monitor if you can

SG Atlantis® 09:55 07 Aug 06

Is it the same PSU?

and does the graphics have it's own power connector.

Gongoozler 10:03 07 Aug 06

The monitor is very unlikely to cause this problem, and I heve never heard of this happening, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. There is an electrical connection between the two, so a monitor fault could put an exceesively high voltage down the wire, but I would have thought that for this to happen the monitor would not have worked either.

pjwheeldon 10:12 07 Aug 06

SG Atlantis

Yes, installed a brand new PSU. First 3 cards ruined did not have a separate power connector (2 6600's and an FX5200). Last one was a 9800 pro which did.

SG Atlantis® 10:15 07 Aug 06

Is it plugged into a Surge protector or straight into the wall socket? Could be spikes coming through the household electrical wiring?

As has been said the monitor is unlikely.

pjwheeldon 10:16 07 Aug 06

Just to help clarify what was replaced when installing the last card (which subsequently failed):

M/board
PSU
HDD x 2
DVD-R/W
CPU Fan
Case fan x 2

All new

Re-used the RAM and CPU, and of couse, the monitor!

pjwheeldon 11:32 07 Aug 06

I gave them a surge protector a while back, so will check that they are using it. In view of the general consensus of opinion that it is prob not the monitor, I was wondering if it could be defective power cables or similar. Clutching at straws now, but might be worth getting new ones anyway, as not a majoe outlay.

pjwheeldon 11:32 07 Aug 06

"major" even!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5