Monitor went BANG

Mike2002 21:52 22 Jan 03
  Mike2002 21:52 22 Jan 03

Quite by coincidence, just at the exact moment I clicked on to close a program down, my 3 year-old
monitor suddenly went bang, and emitted a cloud of white smoke. Is this a case of
"Honey I blew up the Monitor?"

Gongoozler 21:56 22 Jan 03

Mike2002, it may not be totally coincidental. When you close down a program, you may well make a sudden and drastic change to the average picture brightness. If the monitor was about to fail, the sudden change in eht current could have been the final straw, in rather the same way as a light bulb will usually fail as you switch on the light.

Ol 22:11 22 Jan 03

so did mine recently, no smoke though. Seems most popular opinion is not worth paying for repair. May cost as much as new replacement. Trying to decide what to get at the moment.

Ol 22:21 22 Jan 03

Having problem with shell32.dll file. It won't let me open some folders thru' windows explorer.
Located prob via Dr Watson. Told to reinstall said file from windows original disc. tried with no success. possible source of prob : Print Artist software by Sierra. Has anybody had same or similar prob or any advice to solve please. Getting impression will have to back up all own files and re install windows therefore having to install all software req'd/liked.
Any help appreciated.

Ol 22:21 22 Jan 03

Having problem with shell32.dll file. It won't let me open some folders thru' windows explorer.
Located prob via Dr Watson. Told to reinstall said file from windows original disc. tried with no success. possible source of prob : Print Artist software by Sierra. Has anybody had same or similar prob or any advice to solve please. Getting impression will have to back up all own files and re install windows therefore having to install all software req'd/liked.
Any help appreciated.

skeletal 23:31 22 Jan 03

Bit confused with OI's post! But the banging monitor MAY not be as serious as you think. A component that goes bang when it fails (and creates some white smoke, even better may produce some very small white particles like confettii) is a capacitor. Only cost a few pence!

The problem is you need to know where to look, how to replace it, and make sure something else hasn't gone at the same time. If you think you are technically competent I'll tell you more.

BUT I don't wan't you to kill yourself if you get it wrong!!!!

However, it may not cost too much to get it mended, you could be only paying for labour rather than an expensive part.

On the other hand, you may fancy a new one anyway!

I won't be about 'till tomorrow night at the earliest if you do fancy a go!

Skeletal

Mike2002 23:38 14 Feb 03

skeletal: Sorry for the delay!
The Monitor was about 3 years old (and only a 15")
so I went out next day and bought a Mitubishi 17"
(PC Advisor 'recommended'). Am very pleased with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…