Monitor turns off during XP initialization!

steved 15:18 31 Oct 03

Here’s a strange one - I’m running XP on an Athlon XP2000 with 256mb RAM, and have just changed the PSU and case. I turn the PC on and it starts to boot as normal then, halfway through the ‘initializing XP’ sequence the screen goes blank and, after a couple of seconds, the monitor turns off. The PC’s still running and the HDD light is still on so presumably it’s still initializing.. Turning the monitor back on makes no difference as there’s no signal going to it, I just get the same monitor test message that I get if I turn the monitor on without the PC. If I press reset the same thing happens.

I then give up and turn the PC off... a couple of hours later I find that it’s turned itself back on again all by itself! (I suppose it is Halloween...)

Anybody?

sil_ver 16:29 31 Oct 03

Could be a overheating problem or you may have unseated one or more of your components, eg graphics card or memory. Suggest you remove all cards and reseat them as a starting point.

steved 22:32 31 Oct 03

Thanks Sil_ver - it doesn't seem to be overheating (temps in BIOS are fine) - and it doesn't do it in safe mode, so I guess the cards are ok. Any other ideas gratefully received!!

woodchip 22:50 31 Oct 03

This is a graphics problem, check card, cable and look for bent pins, reseat the card and make sure it is pushed full in. As the card worked out when you have put it back together

sil_ver 22:53 31 Oct 03

Is it possible that the new PSU is playing up? could try refitting the old one. Don't run XP so don't know if you can run msconfig to shut down all startup progs then reinstate them one at a time until the problem recurs.

woodchip 23:01 31 Oct 03

Yes you can run Msconfig

lpen1 23:07 31 Oct 03

I had this problem with XP, turned out to be a power supply problem. Got a new 400watt one since then the problem has dissappeared.

woodchip 23:11 31 Oct 03

As a check next time you try starting the comp, watch the hard drive light to see if it continues to seek flash when the monitor turns of

vinnielo 23:27 31 Oct 03

Perhaps you've somehow set your refresh rates to be higher than your monitor is capable of.

Press the F8/F10 (which is it??) button when your computer starts up.

Then select the one that uses the lowest res and stuff.

Sorry I can't be more specific with names!!

woodchip 16:06 01 Nov 03

As vinnielo start in safe mode right click desktop\Properties\Advanced\Adapter\Refresh rate

woodchip 16:07 01 Nov 03

Settings some where in that lote

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…