Monitor Trouble

padawan 08:41 24 Oct 03

XP pro, Ati radeon graphics card. The graphics card came installed when i bought the pc.The problem i am having is that when i restart my pc the settings go back to 8 bit colour and not 32 bit, the way i set and apply them. I did`nt have this problem until i changed to xp pro.
Its not a major problem, just a pain in the neck that each time i start up my pc, i have to spend 10 minutes messing around with the settings.
Can anyone help

Never again 09:04 24 Oct 03

Have you got any error messages or new hardware found messages when you restart, or even when you installed xp pro.

It might also be worth checking that you have complete and up to date drivers on the manufacturers website.

your Hardware could be trying to tell you it doesnt like 32bit colour try it a couple of times set to 16bit but this problem can have a variety of causes that will be tricky to pinpoint. Certainly make sure you have the latest drivers for all your hardware as previously advised.

!STORMTROOPER! 15:53 24 Oct 03

yes i have the latest drivers available. Also even when i set it for 16bit it still goes back to 8bit

mdshamilton 16:05 24 Oct 03

Might be a simple question: Have you unplugged the monitor at all? There are 2 sockets at the back of the PC, one is for the monitor to plug direct to the motherboard, the other is to plug the monitor into the graphics card. Is there a chance you might have plugged the monitor into the MB instead of the GC?

!STORMTROOPER! 16:18 24 Oct 03

No its plugged into the graphic card.

Legolas 16:39 24 Oct 03

Go into the devices and check to see if there is a yellow exclamation mark next to the entry for your graphics card is so reinstall the drivers.

!STORMTROOPER! 16:44 24 Oct 03

no yellow exclamation mark

Gongoozler 16:51 24 Oct 03

When the display reverts to 8-bit colour, it means either you have selected an incompatible resolution, pixel and refresh rate combination or something is loading at startup that is changing your graphics settings. Have you checked to see if you have any software that is incompatible with XP, or any spyware on your computer?

Stuartli 17:59 24 Oct 03

Your graphics card manual should list the various resolutions and refresh capability (85MHz is the best all round setting for 99 per cent of users) of which the card is capable - make sure you don't overstep your monitor's capabilities as well.

I use 32bit colour at 1024x768 at 85MHz with a GeForce2 400 32MB card and a four-year-old iiyama S702GT quite happily in XP.

Gongoozler 07:18 25 Oct 03

Stuartli, 85MHz is a just little bit faster than most monitors can manage as a refresh rate. I think you have a M too many!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…