Monitor stuck in power save mode

torpid 18:35 09 Feb 11

Hello, I hope someone can help.

As the title suggests, my monitor is stuck in safe mode and I dont know what to do. My pc turns on like normal and i can hear windows starting up but my monitor shows an ornage power light. When i try to turn it on it gives me a message to press power button or any key on the keyboard, this does nothing.

Any body have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any advice

robin_x 19:02 09 Feb 11

Try plugging it into a laptop VGA port.

Then buggering around with some display settings.
Put the laptop to sleep then wake it up.

If you are lucky it may do something.

I suspect it is 'no more' though.

canarieslover 19:07 09 Feb 11

Try another monitor on your PC. It may be a faulty graphics card so that the monitor gets no signal so it will stay in power saving mode.

robin_x 19:14 09 Feb 11

Duh. That's the more obvious answer.

torpid 19:24 09 Feb 11

Thanks for the replies but i don't have another monitor or pc/laptop to play around with (currently at my parents house using their pc). I have just read on another forum to press the the function key at the same time as f6 but what the hell is the function key?

Thanks again

woodchip 19:35 09 Feb 11

I do not think its the monitor, I think its not getting no signal as the PC is not working

woodchip 19:37 09 Feb 11

only applies if it is a Laptop you are wanting to fix, in which case it is the fn key near bottom left on keyboard

torpid 19:41 09 Feb 11

thanks but i dont have an fc key on the bottom left of my keyboard, just ctrl,windows and alt keys. I have looked for an fc key somewhere else but cant see one :(

torpid 19:45 09 Feb 11

ohh..have just re-read. you meant that i will not have a fc key on a pc but will have on a lap top

canarieslover 19:49 09 Feb 11

You can try unplugging the monitor lead from both the monitor and the PC and then plugging them back in just in case its a bad connection. Its possible that that may be the cause, but not too probable but that is all I can suggest until you can borrow another monitor or get your one tested on another PC.

woodchip 20:55 09 Feb 11

As I said the PC is not booting

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017