Monitor stays on orange light, please help.

Simon-213084 13:33 30 Dec 03

hi

first of all my system:
pIII 700mhz
15gb hard drive
128mb memory
cd rom
xp professional

the problem is, when i turn on my computer i have to turn the tower on first, then i have to turn my monitor on exactly 1 second after, otherwise the monitor stays on standby (orange light)
All the fans are spinning in the tower when the monitor goes on standby but there doesnt seem to be any hard drive activity.
When i do get my system running, it is fine, perftect. Then if i restart the monitor stays on standby, or when i shutdown, and turn on again, the monitors stays on standby
i have tried clearing the CMOS - doesnt have any effect. Also the monitor is plugged into the VGA on the motherboard, so it isnt a graphics card problem.
Help would be much appreciated
simon

Djohn 13:36 30 Dec 03

simo_2 is your monitors power lead connected direct to the tower unit's power supply or a separate lead to a power socket?

Simon-213084 13:45 30 Dec 03

my monitor is in a seperate power socket. by the way i the monitor is fine i have tested it on other systems.

Jester2K 13:52 30 Dec 03

What size (wattage) PSU does it have?

Is this a new or old problem?

Simon-213084 13:58 30 Dec 03

This is a new problem. The wattage is 300. I have been looking everywhere for a solution. Im sure it is something to do with my motherboard, i have cleared the CMOS on several occassions. I must stress that IF/WHEN i get the computer running everything is fine, no problems. but when i restart the monitor STAYS in standby and i have to pull the mains out to turn the computer off.

Big Elf 14:14 30 Dec 03

Maybe the graphics card has worked loose or the connections need cleaning.

Jester2K 14:22 30 Dec 03

Onboard graphics i guess - Quote - "Also the monitor is plugged into the VGA on the motherboard, so it isnt a graphics card problem"

Try this, turn off the monitor, boot the PC, turn on the monitor. Won't prove anything but it would be a work round until the fault was found.

Djohn 14:27 30 Dec 03

Check Big Elf's suggestion for the graphics card and jester is thinking along the same line as me regarding the power supply. That was the reason I asked about the way the monitor was drawing power.

Monitors used to be plugged into the rear of the tower unit and this was fine when other components were drawing low power, but with to-days high powered systems it's better for the monitor to have a separate supply.

300 watts should be more than enough to power the tower unit, and as you say, it's been working fine until just recently.

While you have the side of the case off to check the graphic card, check all the power leads to the motherboard. Give them a firm but careful push to make sure they are fully home. In fact I would carefully remove each one, one at a time and re-seat, just to make sure of a clean connection. Please give this a try and post back to let us know.

By the way, try not to turn your PC off by removing the power lead. Just press and hold the power button on the front of tower unit for 6 seconds, this will turn it off. j.

Big Elf 14:31 30 Dec 03

Oh dear, and actually I read that as well:0(

Djohn 14:33 30 Dec 03

Big Elf, me too! :o(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…