monitor starts with an almighty thump

bigboab y 11:55 18 Nov 04

I have a Compaq s700 17 inch CRT monitor.When I switch it on ,it gives an almighty thump but then works perfectly after that.Is this curable?? It is SOOO annoying .

ACOLYTE 12:38 18 Nov 04

Sounds like it doing a auto deguass you could try looking in the on screen displsy propeties to see if you can turn it off.

bigboab y 15:25 18 Nov 04

Checked that Aco... no auto degauss tho I admit thats it sounds like it is degaussing.. all crt's make a clicking noise at start-up.. might be the thing that starts the monitor(a relay of some sort???) that is working its ticket or out of adjustment... i'll have a look on the Compaq site... cheers for now

€dstowe 15:42 18 Nov 04

I had a television that behaved similarly. One day, the "thump" was twice as loud as usual and that was the end of the television.

Some capacitors in the EHT circuitry failed. This caused a short circuit on some other part which caused something else and so on. It just wasn't worth repairing.

captain birdseye 16:43 18 Nov 04

We had a number of Sony and Illyama monitors that had this problem. Their life expectancy was no less than non-thumpers. We ran them for several years before upgrading to TFTs.

bigboab y 16:51 18 Nov 04

So is it a case of "live with it"?

jack 17:07 18 Nov 04

Live with it?
Christmas is coming
Get an extra large sock you never know you may find a nice TFT in it.

bigboab y 17:16 18 Nov 04

with my family,.I'd be lucky to get the sock!!!!
also dont let us get into the TFT/CRT debate..thanks all ..I'll keep prowling around the web .. must be an answer somewhere,, the trouble is the picture on the monitor is pure dead gorgeous ... just that annoying thump is a bummer

Graham ® 17:30 18 Nov 04

It's just the mains surging into the thing, I think. If i think any more, I'll let you know.

bigboab y 17:33 18 Nov 04

Keep thinking Hammy

wiz-king 18:17 18 Nov 04

Dont turn it off. We leave all our monitor on 24-7 just us the pc display settings to blank the screen after about 15 min of no activity. They still last for years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…