Monitor - squashing/flickering picture

Rikardos 14:28 09 Jul 05

I have a Mitsubishi Diamondtron 930SB monitor, and just recently (within the last 3 months) the picture on the screen has been constantly playing up. The main symptoms are:

1) The picture "squashes" at the top and bottom of the screen after say 10 minutes of being on (and displaying a perfect picture before) and only goes away when either I turn the monitor off and then on again or give it a good hard "THWACK" on the side, which obviously I don't want to do that much! I should say that the screen repeats this compressing trick after each time I've got it working for 10 minutes or so.
2) Occasionally it completely goes down to a completely black screen with a bright white line running horizontally in the centre of the screen

Has anyone else had this problem? Because I've had this monitor for about 2 years now (working fine up till now, and I haven't moved it from it's position in that time)I doubt I'll be able to go back to Mitsubishi about it but is it just a case of this is kaput and it's time to invest in a new screen or is this rectifiable?

Many thanks for any help!

Diemmess 14:45 09 Jul 05

Plainly a fault in the monitor's circuits, don't hesitate, claim a warranty repair/replacment. It can only get worse.

Diemmess 14:50 09 Jul 05

Re reading, I'm sorry I missed that it has been misbehaving for 3 months and may be long out of warranty

Try your local TV repair man. Please dont go exploring inside the case. Very high voltages can persist long after the thing has been switched off!

smokingbeagle 14:55 09 Jul 05

a manufacturing defect. Try the repairman or someone *competent* at diy repairs.

woodchip 15:14 09 Jul 05

lot's of good monitors have three years warranty. check it out, but it could be the graphics card, and it's most likely that

squillary 17:57 09 Jul 05

Don't be shy to contact the Mitsubishi service line. I had a very similar problem on a Diamond Plus 93SB and they dealt with it quickly, efficiently and without quibble, though it probably was within the warranty period.

Nothing to lose.

chiquita 18:56 09 Jul 05

The problem with your monitor used to be a common fault in Tv's. it is frame collapse and can be caused by a faulty chip in the frame or field circuit but is more likely to be a simple dry joint. any TV engineer will be able to fix this in record time.
This also happens on monitors for small boat radars more on old models than modern ones.
Chiquita

Rikardos 21:33 11 Jul 05

Many thanks for all your help - it's certainly aided me in a direction to take! I've emailed NEC and will see how they get on - I checked my invoice and thankfully it's my awful arithmetic that's at fault as I've only had this for 2 years so fingers crossed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…