monitor shutting down

paddy75 19:36 04 Jun 08

Hi all just got a brand new base unit 2 weeks ago,(£1300) and right from the start the monitor just goes off at random,this can be after just 20mins or sometimes it can stay on for hours without any problems,i think it must have something to do with the graphics card as the computer itself stays on,i went into power settings and choose an option never to turn of the monitor but that dosen't help,the graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 1024mb ,any idea's before i contact the manufacturer. thank you Paddy

Technotiger 19:42 04 Jun 08

You bought a base unit, but how old/what type is the monitor?

paddy75 20:13 04 Jun 08

LG 19 inch dvi 3 years old,never had any bother with it before,this is the first time i have connected it with the dvi cable. paddy

Technotiger 21:45 04 Jun 08

Hmm, a nice monitor, so I think your guess about possible graphics card problem might be more likely.

However, as your base if a shiny new one, it is probably best to contact manufacturer or place of purchase.

I would have suggested looking at Power settings, but you have already done that.

paddy75 22:03 04 Jun 08

Technotiger,thank's for your reply,i have been away for a couple of hours and left the computer running and it was still on when i came back,i will contact them tomorrow,Paddy

paddy75 13:58 14 Jun 08

Hi all,just to update, i got a lend of another monitor and connected it to my computer and let it run for 4 days with no problems so the monitor was the problem after all,i have connected my own monitor to the graphics card with a dvi to vga converter and it is working fine.Paddy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…