Monitor Settings - Best Way To Set Up???

Jester2K II 17:00 15 Dec 03

I have an eternal struggle with my monitor. 6 months ago someone played with the buttons on the front (OK it was probably me!) and changed just about everything (H & V position, H & V Size, Shape etc etc...)

Now i can't seem to get it back to the perfect settings i had before. Every day i am plagued with noticing the left is quite up to the left of the screen (fiddle left a bit) but then the right isn't straight - the edge seems to curve (fiddle right edge a bit) then another bit looks curved or not in place......

Am i trying to meet some impossible perfection or is there an art to getting the image just right??

Gongoozler 17:07 15 Dec 03

Hi Jester2K II. You will never get perfect geometry on a crt monitor. The electron beam is scanning part of a sphere, and electronic and magnetic trickery is used to coerce it to land on a nearly flat surface in what is acceptably close to a rectangular pattern. When you find a setting that is as close to perfect as you can acheive, leave it for a few days and you'll probably get used to it. If you really want perfect geometry, you'll have to get a LCD display, but then you'll have a different set of defects to worry about.

Djohn 17:21 15 Dec 03

Hi Jester2K II I think there are some set-up guides that you can download to help through this problem. But when I had a CRT, I used to reduce the display so that a band of blank area was round all four sides of about 1", then set the display as square as possible before expanding to fit the entire screen.

Any minute adjustment to either side or top/bottom could then be carried out. I also found that to display an Excel screen would help in getting all the lines vertical and horizontal.

Let the monitor warm up for about 20 minutes before doing any of these adjustments. Try not to move a CRT monitor when it is turned on, even to swivel the screen as this can also affect it.

As daft as it may sound, it is true that having your monitor facing a different direction can also make a difference due to the magnetic field, and after setting a perfect display in one direction it can deteriorate if you move the monitor to a different position.

I must admit that this is the main reason I changed to a TFT display, I was always fiddling with the controls to achieve the perfect display and even if it was only out by 1mm it would annoy me all the time I was using it.

Good luck, it can be done, but takes time to achieve and a lot of Patience! j.

Diemmess 17:21 15 Dec 03

Gongoozler has said it all very well..........Your description doesn't suggest that the pattern is unstable, only disappointment that you seem unable to return to the days of its youth! I feel the same about me sometimes.

There is the unlikely possibility that the monitor is failing slightly but if so, I think things would be worse after an interval without a tweak.

Obviously the controls tend to be inter-dependant so it might be wise to accept a less than full size display until you have centered and removed any pincushion effect and then expand first one way and then the other....... but as I said you will have to back track over the other settings yet again.

Finally - don't be too ambitious, accept a "small" black margin around the display

Stuartli 17:31 15 Dec 03

Try this website's monitor adjustment/gamma advice and test patterns:

click here

No CRT monitor will be absolutely perfect as pointed out - my iiyama S702GT has a narrow band on the right that gradually fills in as it warms up; my son's similar model does exactly the same.

Jester2K II 17:33 15 Dec 03

Excellent idea.

The Excel sheet in Full Screen mode has gotten rid of that "somethings wrong but what??" from my mind. Seems to be much better. Seems i'd rotated the screen slightly which was making it look wrong.

Much beter now...

Djohn 17:45 15 Dec 03

Pleased you sorted it, jester. just to clarify my response a little though, because at first it looks as though I disagree with the other replies. I don't.

It is, as said above almost impossible to achieve that perfect display, and as Stuartli says, during the warm up period you will also tend to have one side that will expand by a couple of mm. Stuartli's monitor was to the right, Mine was to the left. But with some effort you can achieve what will be a very acceptable display. j.

Jester2K II 17:49 15 Dec 03

I understood what Gongoozler & Diemmess meant but there was something "not right" and hasn't been for a while. I knew there was a way to sort it because it'd broken it in the first place....

Cheers all...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…