Monitor screen 'smudgy'

algernonymous 16:19 07 Aug 04

I have an old monitor which has a 'smudged' appearance on the screen. I have tried washing it with a damp cloth (using water only), but it doesn't appear to clean it. Is there a coating on screens that can be damaged, and, if so, is there anything that can be done to render it usable?

BlueMeanie 21:18 07 Aug 04

The problem on your "Old" monitor could be that the tube is failing. The picture looks foggy - is the way I describe it. If so, there is no alternative but to purchase a new monitor.

Night Ryder 22:39 07 Aug 04

Safest thing to use to clean the screen is a solution of water and detergent. The cloth should be moist but not soaking wet. If there is an anti glare coating on the monitor screen and this has been damaged then there is not a lot you can do. Your description could also indicate a soft tube which is not unusual for an old monitor. In this case characters on screen will appear to be slightly oout of focus. only fix is to get a new monitor.

Night Ryder 22:41 07 Aug 04

That should have read "out".

algernonymous 22:49 07 Aug 04

It looks as if it is a coating that has been damaged- it is visible even with the monitor switched off. I thought maybe there would be a way to completely remove it. (perhaps white spirit?)

woodchip 22:54 07 Aug 04

Sounds like it's out of focus, not worth mending.click here

VoG II 22:59 07 Aug 04

If, and only if, you are convinced that this is an external coating, try nail-polish remover (acetone or propanone).

Night Ryder 23:11 07 Aug 04

Only times I've seen a bad coating in a CRT monitor is when the user is a smoker. Over a period of time a nicotine coating will build up which is difficult to shift. Try VoG's suggestion. Use something stronger like white spirit or alchohol to clean.

woodchip 23:20 07 Aug 04

set fire to it

Night Ryder 23:25 07 Aug 04

set fire to it ?

VoG II 23:35 07 Aug 04

I'm not sure what is meant by "something stronger".

Assuming that this is an organic coating then something like acetone (nail varnish remover) would be a good start. I'm assuming that somebody hasn't painted it; if they have, maybe white spirit would work.

Don't set fire to it, especially with flammable solvents in the vicinity.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…