monitor screen problem

Les50 16:45 12 Nov 03

i have just been given a compaq presario 140 colour monitor which is in pristine condition. the problem is i have a 2cm black border down both sides of the screen. i have tried all the buttons on the monitor but cannot expand it to the sides.There doesn't seem to be any drivers on the web. Is this an issue with new graphic cards and old monitors manufactured in 1995.

hugh-265156 17:12 12 Nov 03

cant find much info on the compac site re 140 monitor.should use a standard windows driver im guessing.

have a look in control panel/system/hardware/device manager to see if its recognised.

if there is no buttons on the monitor then have you tried control panel/display/settings and set to 800x600 16bit or 1024x768 click advanced and click monitor and tick hide modes this monitor cannot display and choose the highest refresh rate given.

are your drivers for the graphics card installed?

Diemmess 17:20 12 Nov 03

Using terms I barely understand, ---- I suspect that the EHT voltage to the line scanner is failing.

If that is so, your keen local TV man is the most likely one to help avoid a "trip to the tip"

Les50 18:13 12 Nov 03

i've tried all resolutions possible, the buttons on the monitor work ok for top and bottom but not the sides. i have installed the correct monitor from the list for compaq.
the graphic card drivers are up to date and work fine with a sony 15inch trinitron and a std 17inch is ok as well. i have to say on reflection the screen looks out of proportion ie squashed together, also it stops the mouse going into the shadowed zone.
Maybe a trip to the tip is on the cards.
Does anybody give freebies these days that work or was it a con to get me to dump it
Cheers

A_World_Maker 18:36 12 Nov 03

Usually when the screen shrinks like that, it is realted to either the refresh rates not being correct for the resolution... or the power supply/regulator going bye byes... One is recoverable, the other costs more that the CTR

Rtus 18:40 12 Nov 03

click here

I hope so ...

woodchip 18:44 12 Nov 03

Have a look on the back of the monitor you may get the correct manufacturer, As Compaq do not, have never made monitors. It may be a Tatung, that was a popular make about that time. If you know what it can run at i.e. Refresh rate you may improve matters with a new graphics driver set to about 75Mz dpi

Rtus 18:50 12 Nov 03

Sorry they give driver page then "nothing" however driverguide.com do a general all model driver in various flavours of O/S

Les50 21:13 12 Nov 03

well i tried all your options from refresh rates to colours to dpi still the same . i fiddled with the monitor buttons but still no go. i reinstalled the monitor and win 98 list the actual monitor driver, i even tried other variants. no good. It's a shame we can't crack this one as it is a nice monitor with speakers attached and an actual compac monitor
Thanks for everything regards
les

woodchip 21:27 12 Nov 03

Try a new Graphics Driver The increasing of Resolution normally expands the screen, you may also have to try 800x600 screen size. try different screen sizes

hugh-265156 23:17 12 Nov 03

thump it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…