Monitor Screen keeps Flickering with the case fan!

Narendra 16:37 PM 02 Oct 13

Hello, Recently I installed a Akasa case fan that has its speed control with the capacitor. but the monitor keeps flickering and if I remove the speed control from the fan the computer switches off. Do I need the case fan? I wish to remove it or please advise. Thank You. Narendra.

Narendra 12:44 PM 03 Oct 13

Thank you very much for your reply. I think its the power suply, its only a bare minimum of 300 watts, so i need a higher one, have orderd a one of 550 watts, set the bios to fail safe defaults. I do not play games. My o/s system is Windows 7. Thank you again.

Narendra 14:24 PM 03 Oct 13

But I had 2 , 550 watts modular power supplies previously and both failed POWER SUPPLY TESTER, the -5V light would not switch on both of them and had to return them. I hope the third one that I have ordered is not faulty! Never bothered to install them on the case! Its a hassle removing them! Narendra.

bumpkin 14:33 PM 03 Oct 13

New ones don't have -5v, not needed.

Narendra 15:22 PM 03 Oct 13

Thank you very much for your reply.

Does that mean the power supply will work on the computer?

I did not know -5V is not neccessary. Glad I asked. But I sent back the last two! Whry did not they tell me?

bumpkin 16:12 PM 03 Oct 13

spuds, "Antec" is the make for a good one.

bumpkin 16:17 PM 03 Oct 13

"Does that mean the power supply will work on the computer?"

It should do but you have not given any details of the machine you are using.

Narendra 20:15 PM 03 Oct 13

Thank you very much for your replies! My system is 3/4 years old and they used -5V on the motherboards. The new modular ones do not use -5V, so the new modular power supply may not work on my computer system.

Yes, the POWER SUPPLY TESTER was from the Ebay and it came somewhere from the east, may be Thailand!

Please suggest some decent one, and also for the POST Card!

Thank you. Narendra.

bumpkin 20:53 PM 03 Oct 13

Decent one Antec, any new PSU should be fine if your PC is only 4yrs old ignore the _5v thing.

bumpkin 21:02 PM 03 Oct 13

Decent one is "Antec" but more expensive. If your pc is only 4yrs old any ATX power supply should work, ignore the -5v thing.

bumpkin 21:06 PM 03 Oct 13

You have sent 2 back, connect one and see if it works or you will be sending them back forever as they don't have -5v anymore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

#AdventSauceJoyMince - generate a gratuitous Christmas tweet for #GivingTuesday charity

New MacBook Air release date, specs and rumours: 11in MacBook Air to be discontinued